Gecko trying to escape!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leverett13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Have a pair of hatchling nephrurus levis and at night they constantly try and escape, one in particular. Does anyone else have this "problem"? Just a bit worried that the conditions may be wrong or something?

nah mate they are just adventuresome lol mine allways try to escape , feel free to list your housing details

tank/tub size
*(i use 52 litre starmaid tubs from woolworths for all my geckos also i only house one gecko per tub until breeding time.

Temperature
what temps do you keep yours on? (mine are around 27 keep in mind i live in a very hot area and most days i do not use heat accessories .

substrate type / amount

For substrate i use Washed red sand which i collect from dry creek beds and cover the bottom on my tubs one end higher than the other for example one end 6-8 cm of dirt which is normaly the moist end and the other end 2-4 cm which is dry.

moisture amount

I often spray my tubs daily as its quite hot where i live and i like to keep it moist on one end so as they may dig when required, how often do you spray your tank/ tub?

Hides/ uh stuff to hide in lol

I keep 2 hides in each tub my hides are over turned pot plant bases or lids which are about 6-10cm wide with a curved crack in each end

If your set up is similar to mine you shouldnt have any problems i think you will find they just like to explore

(please excuse my spelling i just got home from work haha )

If i didnt realy answer your question feel free to pm or ask me on here

Haha well that's good to know.
tank/tub size
Have a 45x35cm glass tank, and keep a "pair" together of hatch lings together
Temperature
Have got the hot end at 28 degrees currently
substrate type / amount
Got some red reptile sand that i bought from the pet shop at around the same depths as you have
moisture amount
I give it a good spraying every second day
Hides
Have got two hides at either end and a hollowed fake log running down the side (more for aesthetics than anything)

Thanks heaps for that. Was just a little worried as one seemed pretty adamant at getting out.

yeah your set up seems about right i don't have much in my tanks as i breed them so i don't really go for looks just for breeding .

Well id take every chance to escape too if i was in a enclosure =)

I keep my hot end a little hotter than 28 , closer to 30-31 ...
Have you checked to see if one of the geckos is not hounding the other ?
it is pretty common for the them to try walking up the sides of the tubs to get out , I see it more so with the hatchlings though.

Oh ok. Yeah they seem to get along alright. They always hide under the same hide and i have never seen anything that would elad me to believe that one is more dominant. Thanks heaps for the help. I might bump mine up a few degrees then. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back