Is she shedding ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi
my sons stimson has gone very quite
had a feed thursday night last week had a nice cuddle saturday night ( we just open the door and she comes out if she wants too)
and has not left her hide for 48 hours
we have only had her for 4 weeks she is 1y and temp is around 31.8
Thermostat and thermometer are in the middle of her tank ( warmer if i move it near her hide)
when she had her last feed the top of her head was a little darker than normal
we did get her from a pet shop and wasnt till we got her home we noticed no shedding had been recorded
what do you all think ????

P.S just a bit worried and will she do it out of her hide or in it

Sounds like she is possibly in shed mode, i know my bredli goes into hiding when she is going to shed, coming out very rarely until 'it is time'. I wouldnt worry at all, she knows what she is doing. It would be helpful to her though if you give her enclosure a misting daily until she is done. So far Matilda has had perfect complete sheds with me, except the one time i didnt mist, then it came off in pieces. Adding a water bowl to the hot end under the heat source helps raise the humidity also.

if you can see the snake it will probably look really dull and the patterning fading a bit that would also indicate going into shed, and you can also keep an eye out for the snakes eyes if they go milky for a day or 2 then clear up this usually indicates the start of the shed process.

my SWCP is getting ready to shed, she lets me know tho i open her cage and she just looks at me a hisses pisssssssofffffffssss

Is it ok to lift the hide just dont want to annoy her.
Will she come out for water if she needs it .
OMG its like being a first time mum all over agian
:(
Also where do you all get your plants for your tanks cant find anywhere on the sunny coast

Yes, she will come out for water if she wants :) As for lifting her hide, if you really want to 'check' on her you can, but it is best to just leave her, they are quite scared when in shed, they cant see properly & they generally feel a bit 'blah' :p

Yeah , dont think i want too thanks for the tips :D

Is you're probe under the heat source ? Like half way down or half way in the middle of the enclosure, because if its showing 31.8 degrees half way then its going to be alot hotter in the basking area.

Its just over half way down and in the middle ( is that where it should be )
i have a large water dish in the cool end a hide in the hot and cool and a large branch in the middle
will try to upload some pics

hey it does sound like she is shedding, when i had snakes i would just leave them be during shedding although sometimes spraying them with a little water helps them to shed. my mother does this trick. works a treat :)

just went to see if she is ok with a tourch and she moved so she must be ok and her tempp is know 31.3

Man, am I glad I read this tonight. I was just about to hop on and go, "My Woma is deprreesseed!!" I've had him for a year and I've never seen him look so miserable shedding. :( He's usually all excited when I walk past his enclosure but he's just all mopey. I practically have to poke him for a reaction. He just looks at me and goes, "What?" with his milky eyes. I freaked when he was doing all this weird yawning today but I just read he's stretching his skin. Phew!!
He ate last week and I'd just moved up a food size so I was panicking. Feeling better now. Here's hoping he gets it over and done with soon and returns to his normal bubbly self.

Last edited:
just went to see if she is ok with a tourch and she moved so she must be ok and her tempp is know 31.3

Her temp where? By the sounds of it if you have the probes in the middle of the tank, that means it is measuring 31 in the middle. Her hot end would be hotter than it is supposed to be, and her cool end well wouldn't be as cool as it should be. Both probes should be up the hot end measuring where the heat supply is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back