What should i be feeding?...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake007

Reaction score
Hey i have a hypo coastal python and i just wondering what i should be feeding im feeding her pin key rats right now and she has no problem eating them at all with in a few seconds there down she is about 55 cms long and 6-9 months old ... i feed her every 9 days is that two long or two short she all ways noes when it is feeding time cause she sits where i feed her so just getting a few tips on wat else i can feed her or just stick with them for now ...

Pinky rats sounds small for 6-9 months old. Weigh her and feed her rats 10-15% of her body weight, or slightly thicker than the thickest part of her body. The food item should take a couple of minutes to get down and leave a nice lump.

I'm going to guess that pinkies are way too small. My 5 month old coastals are already on larger fuzzies every 5-7 days.

Basically you're aiming for a prey item that is about the same width as the widest point on your snake (they could handle something larger though). As far as how regularly to feed, this is a completely individual thing, they would probably start refusing anything sooner than every 5 days and would be getting unhealthy after 3 weeks of not eating whilst they are young. So just pick a spot in there that suits you

Thanks for the help can u under feed a snake ?

Pinky rats would be a suitable food for hatchling coastals , it should be feeding on much bigger food by now , just up the size to fuzzy rats then weaner rats and so on ....

You certainly can under feed a snake, especially a younger one. They do most of their growing in the 1st 5 years so they eat the most during this period. I feed my 4 month old coastals a large fuzzy every 5-7 days and I feed my 2.5m costal a jumbo around every 2 weeks or so (this is probably even a bit much but I like my snakes to be well fed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back