Woma questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadCricket

Reaction score
Ormiston, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hey all. I've just picked up a pair of womas, among other snakes, that weren't very well cared for at all. When I went to collect them they were in a closed off, stinking hot room with heating still active. I was sweating as soon as I got in there. They seem to be mite free but they are very hungry and appear to have retained sheds.

Do retained sheds appear as little bubbles of seperated skin?
I've given them a couple of good feeds but is there a treat I can give them? I normally treat my other snakes with quail. Irresistable, smelly, filling, feathery lumps of snake joy. But, I assume these would be too high in fat for womas. I haven't been able to find any info on feeder skink colonies. Basically I'm just looking for something they are going to love and can chow down on to their hearts content.

I don't suppose these womas were free ? lol they sound like trouble and you don't seem to know how to get em going again haha . Womas are usually pretty keen to eat any thing, I would just keep they're temps right for a abit abit of misting and just offer food after a couple weeks of settling in

In Queensland you can catch certain species of skink as feeders for small snakes only:

Have a look at the Code of practice for reptile husbandry from the DERM website:

Code of practice: Captive reptile and amphibian husbandry (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

Would be really hard to identify the species though. Also have to be humanely euthanised first. Asian house geckoes would be better. But I would also be concerned about parasites. I did read another thread on here that suggests you freeze them for at least 4 weeks to kill any pathogens - not sure if this would actually work though.

Good luck!

Seems to be some confusion. The snakes are eating. They have had 2 feeds with me. 2x approx 200g rats each per feed. I have also soaked them in a 30° bath for about 30 min each to assist with lifting the shed.

What I'm looking for is a treat. Something that they can munch on to their hearts content. Preferably a reptile or something else low in fat so I can put some weight on them quick without worrying about the fat content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back