Sensible stray cat solution

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not a valid reason, he doesn't have to kill them, he could take them to the pound so your argument im afraid is not valid

as mentioned it is likely that the cats will end up back on the streets as cat owners tend to think they and their animals are more important in my experience. also if protecting native wildlife is no longer valid then why do we bother with so many laws? anyway im out

the cats definitely should have been taken to the pound! or even better to a rescue organization...

i foster care for little paws kitten rescue and always educate people about the damage cats do and how its a lot safer for them as well to be kept inside. With the more playful kittens we make them mandatory inside cats, so i only adopt them out to people who have agreed to keep them inside. But not everyone wants their cat inside all of the time... I always make sure adopters know to lock them up at night though.

Two of my larger kittens escaped last week and ran away. We managed to find them the next day but not every cat that wanders into a yard is aloud to roam. Id hate to think what would have happened if my guys found a similar minded person...

as mentioned it is likely that the cats will end up back on the streets as cat owners tend to think they and their animals are more important in my experience. also if protecting native wildlife is no longer valid then why do we bother with so many laws? anyway im out
Its not a valid reason to break the law and kill someones pet when he can do the right thing and take it to a pound, the owners will then have to pay to get them back, I know its not foolproof but thats the laws we as a society choose to follow

More power to him. I am a cat person and own two inside cats. They have a run outside and the neighbours tom cat comes over and winds them up chronically. Being on a couple of acres one day soon I will get the 12Ga out quick enough and it won't do it again.

People should control their animals or foreit the right to own them (in whatever form that takes).

To prove I do like cats, here is a pic of our cats.

24112011163.jpg

the cats definitely should have been taken to the pound! or even better to a rescue organization...

i foster care for little paws kitten rescue and always educate people about the damage cats do and how its a lot safer for them as well to be kept inside. With the more playful kittens we make them mandatory inside cats, so i only adopt them out to people who have agreed to keep them inside. But not everyone wants their cat inside all of the time... I always make sure adopters know to lock them up at night though.

Two of my larger kittens escaped last week and ran away. We managed to find them the next day but not every cat that wanders into a yard is aloud to roam. Id hate to think what would have happened if my guys found a similar minded person...

I know a few people who have adopted cats, they are inside cats, but all it takes is for a careless visitor to hold the door open too long and they're off. For these cats to be trapped and killed would be punishing the good.

I had a cat lined up with the .308 rem one afternoon, then I noticed a farmhouse in the distance and the cat gave me a kind of domesticated "meow" :lol: Lucky for the cat I have a conscience. I let it go on its merry way :p

I had a cat lined up with the .308 rem one afternoon, then I noticed a farmhouse in the distance and the cat gave me a kind of domesticated "meow" :lol: Lucky for the cat I have a conscience. I let it go on its merry way :p

Yes, the way I see it, companion animals (pets) are a completely different kettle of fish to their wild counterparts

we have had cats coming to our place for years - peeing and pooping all over our front yard, on our front door mat and even in my kids play sand out the back of the house. we have spend hundreds of dollars trying everything possible to get rid of these cats the nice way. we have even sent letters to the councils and asked the neighbours, yet it still continues to be a problem.there are a few rentals around us so if one nieghbour does comply, sooner or later another moves in and the same thing happens. people come to our front door and cough at the stink, i am also allergic to cats. my husband of late has suggested that we get a trap and he take them to work (we have taken them to the pound (us footing the bill of the traps and the petrol money to and from the pound). what else am i meant to do??? people need to take responsibilty for their damn animals!

the .308 rem would have made a mess of it lol, that's like using my 6.5mm for bunnies.

I will just say that there isn't any proof, other then his word, that he actually killed any cats, I think judging by the insinuations of tanning their hides etc, that it was merely used as a scare tactic, trying to shock the owners into action.

but other then that I'm not going to get involved, my girlfriend loves cats to much, and I dislike them strongly, so judge my comment however you want :lol:

or, a better scare tactic, do a letter box drop anomously saying that your 3m bhp has escaped and hasn't feed in a while, so best to keep small dogs and cats inside until you do another letter box drop informing them that the snake has been found...

or, a better scare tactic, do a letter box drop anomously saying that your 3m bhp has escaped and hasn't feed in a while, so best to keep small dogs and cats inside until you do another letter box drop informing them that the snake has been found...

You obviously haven't had any large reptiles get out then have you.

The only problem I see with this is that killing cats one at a time will not really have any effect on their numbers and the damage that they cause.

Would prefer to se a Cat Flu or Mixi for cats. Something that will kill any cat not immunised yearly.

This would allow responsible owners the enjoyment of their pets, while reducing feral population.

Would still have immunised cats being allowed to roam, which could then be trapped and impounded.

The only problem I see with this is that killing cats one at a time will not really have any effect on their numbers and the damage that they cause.

Would prefer to se a Cat Flu or Mixi for cats. Something that will kill any cat not immunised yearly.

This would allow responsible owners the enjoyment of their pets, while reducing feral population.

Would still have immunised cats being allowed to roam, which could then be trapped and impounded.

i don't understand how people can say that it doesn't really have any effect on the numbers or damage caused, for every female that isn't desexed you take out, you also take out all their potential offspring and their offsprings offspring, imagine if that cat was allowed to breed twice that's 8 more cats and from each of those the same again.. while it might not seem like much it definitely has an effect in the end..

Nup, still not enough to make a significant dent in population of 2.4 million animals (2007 figure).

Need something to reduce total population down to a managable and controlled level, (ie 20,000)

That will do wonders for the public image of snake keepers....

I'm betting they aren't even trapping cats let alone killing them. Just a threat to force people into being more attentive to where their cats are at night.

What happens in the following case though, only complete heartbreak and anger at this man is likely to ensue.

A responsible cat owner keeps his/her cat indoors 24/7. They may have visitors that are not up to par with the cat rules, young children, or just by accident (because yes accidents do happen) that a door is left open by mistake and the cat makes it out and goes for a wander. The man traps this cat and kills it. Not acceptable by any means.

The cat- napper- man is prob. targetting repeat offenders...not one off roamers

There's a rotten grey thing always straying around my property but luckily my dog keeps it out of our yard, still it still howls, screams and fights with its buddies in the streets nearby. I've seen it dive down the (dry) storm water drains at times.

That is downright annoying :(

I think we should kill all strays and let all the captives die out then ban cats completely.

if people want a cat they can get something like a spot tailed quoll instead.

as for the ones that were clearly peoples pets. he did put out a warning and they were leaving their cats out....not the animals fault but definately a way to fix that problem....

I'm a cat owner, my cats don't leave my house. I agree with what he has said but also think he's bluffing about the cats he's caught. It would certainly put the wind up peoes skirts.

We have a lot of stray cats in our area and they regularly fight outside our home. It's very annoying to have this and also find my birds killed by them during the night. I'd personally support him. It's. It hard to be a responsible owner.

we have had cats coming to our place for years - peeing and pooping all over our front yard, on our front door mat and even in my kids play sand out the back of the house. we have spend hundreds of dollars trying everything possible to get rid of these cats the nice way. we have even sent letters to the councils and asked the neighbours, yet it still continues to be a problem.there are a few rentals around us so if one nieghbour does comply, sooner or later another moves in and the same thing happens. people come to our front door and cough at the stink, i am also allergic to cats. my husband of late has suggested that we get a trap and he take them to work (we have taken them to the pound (us footing the bill of the traps and the petrol money to and from the pound). what else am i meant to do??? people need to take responsibilty for their damn animals!

Buy some moth balls and put them around your perimeter cats hate them. It's cheap and effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back