Save money on shipping: know about cubic weight surcharges

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Cubic weight surcharges

I learned about these sneaky surcharges long ago thanks to selling second-hand goods on eBay. Knowing about them is not only good for shipping reps, but shipping anything. Most freight companies, including Australia Post, charge by whichever weight is highest: cubic weight or actual weight. If your cubic weight is higher than your actual weight, you could pay more than you should. I hope this post will save people some dollars.

I think the formula used to calculate cubic weight is standard across the industry. In any case, AAE say:

'Cubic Weight' means the weight determined by us by multiplying the height, width and depth of the Goods by the standard cubic factor of 250 kilograms per cubic metre, rounded up to the nearest whole kilogram.

Translated, that means:

(Length x height x width in metres) x 250 = Cubic weight in kilograms

AAE then round up the answer to the nearest whole kilogram.

Your aim is to get the cubic weight as close as possible to the actual weight. Here's an example. When I recently shipped Zephyr from Melbourne to Cairns, the dimensions of my box were 21.7 x 17.7 x 17.9 cm. If I pop the dimensions of my box into the formula, my cubic weight is:

(0.217 x 0.177 x 0.179) x 250 = 1.72 kilograms

Since my actual weight including the snake was 1.6 kilos, that’s pretty good. Because AAE would round that up to 2 kilograms, I have plenty of extra weight to play with without having to pay more. But if my cubic weight came out at 2.001 kilos, I’d be charged for 3 kilograms.

It is therefore very important to (a) estimate the weight of your box, packaging and contents, and (b) work out the dimensions of the parcel accordingly before deciding how you will package your reptile (or anything else). It can be difficult to do, but it will save you money when you get the hang of it.

If anyone has any questions, comments, tips or corrections, please feel free to add to this thread.

Regards,
Renenet

Last edited:
To save even more:

When sending juvenile snakes, you don't need a huge container. This 2 litre eski costs $12,- at Overflow, drill a few vent holes, fill it with shredded newspaper, snake in a bag and a couple of screws through the lid to make sure it doesn't come off and that's it. Strong, well insulated packaging - dimensions: 18x15x15cm, real weight 500 grams, cubic weight 1.4 kg (without the snake). If you have an account with AaE, the freight costs is $35.- to any airport in Australia.

i-FBL2Z6L-S.jpg

Last edited:
That's right - I'll amend my post to reflect that. I've never actually managed to get the cubic weight under the actual weight, which is why I forgot about that.

To save even more:

When sending juvenile snakes, you don't need a huge container. This 2 litre eski costs $12,- at Overflow, drill a few vent holes, fill it with shredded newspaper, snake in a bag and a couple of screws through the lid to make sure it doesn't come off and that's it. Strong, well insulated packaging - dimensions: 18x15x15cm, real weight 500 grams, cubic weight 1.4 kg (without the snake). If you have an account with AaE, the freight costs is $35.- to any airport in Australia.

i-FBL2Z6L-S.jpg

So where would you drill through the lid ie top or side and what size screws would you require

Never have vets on the top in case the box is exposed to rain (on the tarmac). I drill 3 holes on opposite sites. The screws go through the top rim and trough the bottom of the lid which is sunk in the esky. What size screws? Once you see the eski, you know what size of screws to use.

There in lie our freight woes... 2.1m x 1.2m x 0.75m = bloody expensive.. :( My old freight company promised me lots of things on cheap pricing...quoting me one figure which i then passed onto the customer then adding fuel levy, administration, gst, and then not giving us the discount....this was especially bad on the most expensive freight job we had. Got quoted $453 which is what we charged our customer, a month later they send us the invoice of $790...I was obviously unimpressed and fought it for months eventually paying $650 to just make it go away. I am currently looking for a new freight company....

There in lie our freight woes... 2.1m x 1.2m x 0.75m = bloody expensive.. :( My old freight company promised me lots of things on cheap pricing...quoting me one figure which i then passed onto the customer then adding fuel levy, administration, gst, and then not giving us the discount....this was especially bad on the most expensive freight job we had. Got quoted $453 which is what we charged our customer, a month later they send us the invoice of $790...I was obviously unimpressed and fought it for months eventually paying $650 to just make it go away. I am currently looking for a new freight company....

Your goods must be extremely difficult to get delivered at a reasonable rate and in good condition. I work for a large freight company that does a lot of special services such as fragile goods and tailgate delivery, there is a lot of extra precautions taken and all this costs money not to mention linehauling product with the general freight.
Unfortunately damages still happen but hopefully not as much as some of the other companies.

Hey ben,

i have found Hitrans to be reasonably cheap freighting big items and i mean items weinghing over 700 kgs on a pallet. not sure of there number as im at work but the only pitfall is they dont offer insurance to my knowledge but check them out you might find a good deal.

Your goods must be extremely difficult to get delivered at a reasonable rate and in good condition. I work for a large freight company that does a lot of special services such as fragile goods and tailgate delivery, there is a lot of extra precautions taken and all this costs money not to mention linehauling product with the general freight.
Unfortunately damages still happen but hopefully not as much as some of the other companies.
who do you work for or suggest?

Hey ben,

i have found Hitrans to be reasonably cheap freighting big items and i mean items weinghing over 700 kgs on a pallet. not sure of there number as im at work but the only pitfall is they dont offer insurance to my knowledge but check them out you might find a good deal.

Thanks will try them, none offer insurance, it's just up to us to pack them as best we can..

Ben,

I bet a lot more people would buy your enclosures if only they could get them shipped for a reasonable price. Good luck.

Renenet

Unfortunately at the end of the day if you want something freighted with minimal damage issues it is going to cost you more, especially an expensive piece of furniture like an enclosure. There are a lot of cowboy freight companies out there that pay there workers crap money and in turn give crap service. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Ben,

I bet a lot more people would buy your enclosures if only they could get them shipped for a reasonable price. Good luck.

Renenet

Ben,

Renenet
We offer quite good freight prices now, we can do one of our large enclosures to Sydney for around $150 , we are just fed up with their rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back