Sensible stray cat solution

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a cat owner, my cats don't leave my house. I agree with what he has said but also think he's bluffing about the cats he's caught. It would certainly put the wind up peoes skirts.

We have a lot of stray cats in our area and they regularly fight outside our home. It's very annoying to have this and also find my birds killed by them during the night. I'd personally support him. It's. It hard to be a responsible owner.

Buy some moth balls and put them around your perimeter cats hate them. It's cheap and effective.

Moth balls may be cheap and effective, but why should I waste my money and time keeping other peoples pets off my property? I see cats at our local park hunting birds, do I ring council to get them to lay out mothballs? How about I let my dog roam the street and get other innocent people to deal with it staying off their property?
You have a pet, be responsible for it and what it can do and respect that your neighbors should not have to deal with another persons ignorance.
I do not condone any violence towards pets, but I can see how angry and desperate people can get.

Hell, i am getting angry.
This is what your beloved pet does to the wildlife.
Keep it indoors.

Louie Cat Eats Bird after Hunting & KIlling it - Feline's Delight! - YouTube

Cat eating baby snake - YouTube

Last edited:
shoulden't kill them, but hell keep your cats locked up at night. I feel his pain

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't going to post in this thread but...............

How is this bloke breaking the law? His actions don't sound illegal to me.

You guys have no idea how close i am to doing what this fella is but with dogs atm. I shot one and ran a few others over a while back but to no avail, seriously considering poisoning them now. If i wasn't scared of my dog taking a bait i would have done it yesterday...

I wasn't going to post in this thread but...............

You guys have no idea how close i am to doing what this fella is but with dogs atm. I shot one and ran a few others over a while back but to no avail, seriously considering poisoning them now. If i wasn't scared of my dog taking a bait i would have done it yesterday...

Have done simular! parents owned a farm not far out of town and we had a hell of a time with dogs, Bloody townies. Even got to the point of handing back a few collars when they came looking for thier dog.
And before the bleeding hearts start, As a land owner/ farmer you have the legal right to shoot any animal that wanders onto your property!

It quite simple people keep your animals/pets confined as they should be and nothing will happen to them!

There is far too little information provided about his trapping and killing methods to say what part of the Animal Welfare Act he is breaking.

It is completely legal for him to trap them as long as he follows the trapping regulations of Victoria as the animals are on his land with out his permission. I have no problem with him trapping them, I think this is a fair enough action (proving he is following regulations).

Under the Victorian Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Domestic Cats it is recommended that euthanasia is only completed by a qualified veterinarian or a close range gun shot to the brain by a licensed and proficient person. I cannot see him shooting them in the suburbs nor taking them to a vet. Gassing, drowning and poisoning are all classed as inhumane as the animal suffers.

There is more information needed to say why this is "illegal" but the morality of his actions is a whole other kettle of fish

All you people saying he should drive them to the pound to give owners a chance to reclaim them are kidding yourselves. If it was me, I would be doing the same thing, as with the amount of cats I get in my yard I would have to get a 2nd job just to buy fuel to take all the trapped cats to a pound...

"If the owners get a chance to reclaim the cat, it'll teach them to be more responsible" -- what a load... A majority of reclaimed cats are back in the same persons yard within a night or two.

These irresponsible owners most probably don't have any idea where their cats are most of the time, and I don't think they care. They come home from work, feed them, then forget they are there or let them out as they think that their cats have a right to be outside and get to come and go as they please, killing natives in the process

Lock them up, or lose them.

Do you have a reference for that information digitalis? Because if that is the case it makes several popular hunting methods illegal...

Do you have a reference for that information digitalis? Because if that is the case it makes several popular hunting methods illegal...

Please note that I said the "Victorian Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Domestic Cats" the information is about DOMESTIC CATS ONLY, not other animals commonly hunted such as foxes, boar etc.
Also note that a Code of Practice is generally more a guide than a regulation. This Code of Practice can be found on the Department of Primary Industries Victoria under Agriculture.

I have not said anything was illegal, as there was not enough information required. Also under the Code I said it recommends, not that it is illegal to do other wise.

I have in no way implied that several hunting methods are illegal, if you feel I have please specify exactly how I implied this

Please note that I said the "Victorian Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Domestic Cats" the information is about DOMESTIC CATS ONLY, not other animals commonly hunted such as foxes, boar etc.
Also note that a Code of Practice is generally more a guide than a regulation. This Code of Practice can be found on the Department of Primary Industries Victoria under Agriculture.

I have not said anything was illegal, as there was not enough information required. Also under the Code I said it recommends, not that it is illegal to do other wise.

I have in no way implied that several hunting methods are illegal, if you feel I have please specify exactly how I implied this

You implied that it was illegal because you answered this question...

Cats are also an animal that is regularly hunted in Victoria, like the fella the story is about is doing.

I can't even understand how this is under debate.

If someones pet snake escaped, and later found out a neighbour had killed it because it had got into their yard, everybody would be up in arms. Same thing with a dog (dogs kill native wildlife too, don't forget. I've probably seen more damage done by dogs than cats. Or how about I shoot you if you walk into my yard, humans are much worse than cats too.)

FORGET for a minute that they're cats. Just forget it. It all comes down to one basic point, IT IS SOMEONES PET AND MUCH LOVED FAMILY MEMBER. Sure you might catch feral ones, in that case you would know it's feral. If it has a collar, or otherwise appears to be someone's pet - do the bloody right thing and find the owners or drop it to the pound.

If you are catching the same cat multiple times, find it a new home where you know has responsible owners (or find a friend willing to rehome it, I know I would put up my hand to help rehome an animal if it's life was on the line).

all that is needed here is find the man/ woman and pat them on the back

I can't even understand how this is under debate.

If someones pet snake escaped, and later found out a neighbour had killed it because it had got into their yard, everybody would be up in arms. Same thing with a dog (dogs kill native wildlife too, don't forget. I've probably seen more damage done by dogs than cats. Or how about I shoot you if you walk into my yard, humans are much worse than cats too.)

FORGET for a minute that they're cats. Just forget it. It all comes down to one basic point, IT IS SOMEONES PET AND MUCH LOVED FAMILY MEMBER. Sure you might catch feral ones, in that case you would know it's feral. If it has a collar, or otherwise appears to be someone's pet - do the bloody right thing and find the owners or drop it to the pound.

If you are catching the same cat multiple times, find it a new home where you know has responsible owners (or find a friend willing to rehome it, I know I would put up my hand to help rehome an animal if it's life was on the line).

There are a few hypocrites out there but i assure you i am not one of them, i have and will give the same treatment to dogs as we are promoting for cats.

Here's an interesting tidbit i found on the DPI VIC code of practice
Found or stray cats in the possession of a person, other than the owner, must be
handed over to the local council as soon as possible.

How can a code of practice for cat owners be extended to non-owners?

You implied that it was illegal because you answered this question...

Cats are also an animal that is regularly hunted in Victoria, like the fella the story is about is doing.

I see that I have expressed myself incorrectly. I did not intend to indicate that killing a cat, or any other animal for that matter is illegal, merely that his method of killing pets sounds questionable.

May I please point out that a domestic cat are different to feral cats (yes I understand that they both kill wildlife and make a mess in your garden if given the chance). Go ahead and kill feral cats, they are pests, I understand and believe this myself. The male in this story is clearly killing pets as they have collars, which he made a point of boasting about. Once you say the word pet, it brings in the morality issue.

I have also not said (or intended to imply) that him killing cats is illegal; I understand that you can kill a cat or other animal well within the bounds of the law. My issue is the fact that he leaves out his method of death, which makes you question what he is actually doing to kill it; he may have a completely radical view on what a "humane" way to kill an animal is.

Going back to the original story posted, it says that he will face charges if caught:

If the person is caught and is proven to have killed cats, they will face animal cruelty charges and possible jail time, police say.

This indicates that officials also believe that he has breached the Animal Welfare Act in some way.

But he aint hunting cats... he's treathening to kill his neighbours pets.

I would argue that he is hunting a feral animal on his property.

This indicates that officials also believe that he has breached the Animal Welfare Act in some way.

I disagree, i think that indicates that the publisher is trying to sensationalise the story.

I disagree, i think that indicates that the publisher is trying to sensationalise the story.

I dont think I can argue with that.

Journalism is all about trying to evoke emotion and this story has done it oh so well.

Cats should be kept indoors and in secure "cat-runs" full stop, make it law!!!! It is a shame that the poster guy has resorted to this but I can understand his point of view and reasons. Frustration. I don't want to have to tolerate some inconsiderate cat owner's ignorance and disregard for other people and the environment. Why put up with cats fighting at night, peeing, pooing, killing.

I love cats and I have a Burmese, he lives inside and goes outside on a cat lead (looks ridiculous but I have lots of birds around my area). Eventually I will make a cat run down the side of my house away from the german shepard we have, that the cat bashes up. I fully support cat registration, and compulsory de-sexing.

Believe it or not on the local TV news, they had a guy from Bendigo who had lost his cat and just found it say how "cruel" it now is that he must keep his cat locked up and not allowed to roam!!

I love cats, and along with other animals they play a big role in my life to the point where i have dedicated it to their wellbeing. And although i morally do not agree with this bloke i can totally understand what he is doing. I got so angry when a neighbour's cat managed to get into one of my aviaries and eat a clutch of budgies i had bred along with a lorikeet hatchling. My cats are taught from when i first get them that stepping outside even with the door open is a no no ( and yes they learn this, not all cats go flying out the door unless they have been allowed to do so). In a perfect world, everyone would trap the strays and take them to the pound but i understand this is not always possible (Fortunetely my local pound is literally 4 houses up from me). When i was overseas i saw the destruction strays caused, it was literally an epidemic with thousands upon thousands of strays littering the streets of Beirut and in the villages people used to shoot strays on sight. Honestly i really think this guy is using this as a scare tactic, especially when he mentions make hides out of them and i sincerly wish he is because i spend so much time and dedication towards my cats, they are equal to all my other animals and if one of them where to ever step outside accidently and get killed i would be devastated.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back