Devastated. Advice would be much appreciated.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskaldur

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I am utterly devastated.

I decided that I wanted to get myself a Rough Scaled Python for my birthday and when I saw one for sale locally, I decided to get it early. It was sold to me as a fussy eater, but I was told it did eat and was otherwise healthy.

I bought it on Sunday. By Tuesday night it was dead. I noticed it in a slightly unusual position, but not dead looking, so I decided to leave it be. I was trying to be good and let it settle in. When it hadn’t moved at all by tonight I had to check, and that’s when I realised it was dead. In that amount of time surely it can’t be anything I have done.

I would like to know what people think I should do. I haven’t even sent in the Movement Advice form yet. Do I contact the seller and see if I can get my money back? I was already in love with that little creature :(

That's awful. I would contact the seller myself, hopefully some agreement can be reached. Other than that there's really nothing I can advise, having never been in that situation myself, except to maybe buy from a reputable breeder next time.
Poor little guy, my condolences. Unless you've gone and done something incredibly extreme which I'm doubting (you sound sensible enough), it doesn't sound like the fault lies with you.

Thats very sad. Contact the seller and discuss the problem with him. What were the temps like, any chance he was overheated?

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would definitely say contact the breeder. In such a short space of time it would be very difficult for you to do something that would result in that.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should contact the breeder then, I will do that in the morning and hope for the best.

The temps were fine, no chance of being overheated.

If snake had water, hides, correct temps etc, DEFINITELY contact seller and get your money back.
If you don't get your money back, make sure to warn others of this seller (if they are on APS).
How much money are we talking?

That's horrible; what an awful situation :(
I agree with everyone else. Definitely contact the seller.
I'm really sorry for your loss.

If you don't get your money back, make sure to warn others of this seller (if they are on APS).

IF it turns bad make sure you are 100% correct before you start naming and shaming anyone on here. I think too many people jump the gun in these situations and good people get bad reputations because of misunderstandings.

You should contact the seller and explain , also ask the Mods to remove this thread , it does not help any one breeding RSP in your area and the breeder is not even aware of any issues yet ...

IF it turns bad make sure you are 100% correct before you start naming and shaming anyone on here. I think too many people jump the gun in these situations and good people get bad reputations because of misunderstandings.

Could not agree more , I recently went through one of these , and none of it was my fault at all ... it aint a lot of fun,

Unfortunately it is probably too late to get a proper autopsy but it may be worth putting i n the fridge and getting the local herp vets opinion as to cause of death.
How old was the animal and what weight? Did it have reasoinable body condition?
It amazes me that most responses relate to compensation. The first step is to establish the cause of death so as to learn in the future.

Wokka, I agree with you. An autopsy would have been useful - it's an academic question, but what can be learnt from this? I would speculate that the breeder would be equally interested to know what went wrong. Compensation is a secondary issue.

An experieced eye should still be able to determine condition of the animal- fat deposits etc. Likewise with cage setup, often an objective view will notice things that the regular user doesn't.

Certainly contacting the breeder re history is part of determining cause of death.

Sorry about your loss and hope things work out better in future and that it hasn't turned you off trying again - goodluck

oh no :( roughies are my favourite too. It is nothing you did wrong for u to have the snake only 3 days then it dies i would say it has had an issue for a while and maybe the move just tiped him over the edge - reptiles are good at hiding illnesses until it is almost too late. can u do a post mortem? definately talk to the breeder. good luck

Being a breeder of RSP's, I would expect you to contact me if a snake I had sold you died suddenly. The cause of death needs to be established, not only for your sake but also to ensure there are not other causes that might have more serious cosequences - both to your snakes and the breeders.

As to the subject of compensation, if environmental conditions such as overheating etc are ruled out, then in my opinion, the breeder should reimburse you, including the cost to establish the cause of death.

Roughies can be fussy feeders when young and that is the reason why I never sell them until they are established, trouble free snakes.

Good luck and keep us informed..

Hope this wasnt your first snake, what a bad experience. I'm about to get my first snake. Hope she's nice and healthy although I am getting her from snake ranch so fingers crossed. Sorry for your loss

Was it a new cage? A mate very recently lost a snake from a new plastic hide which released some toxic fumes when heated. Be very very careful before ruining anyones name. No breeder in there right mind would knowingly sell a snake on the verge of death.

The breeder might do the rightie and help you out, sometimes not but I hope it turns out that way.

Sorry for disappearing from the thread. It has been a busy day.

Just so that people know, it was never my intention to name and shame anyone. I was just upset and wondering what to do. Also if this person is an APS member, I am not aware of it. The seller is not the breeder in this case. He breeds other snakes (GTPs that I know of), but bought a couple of RSPs from someone else. In hindsight I probably should have asked more questions about the snake’s history including how long he had been caring for it. He really might not have realised there was anything wrong.

The seller agreed to return half of my money if I send pictures of the dead snake. I’m not entirely happy with that, but it’s better than nothing I guess.

I do still have the dead snake... I put it in the freezer on my way out this morning. It seemed such a waste to throw it away, but it was smelling unpleasant. Not sure I want to spend money getting an autopsy on it, though it would be interesting to know the cause of death.

Just thought I would add... it is not my first snake. I only have two others, but those experiences have been good and I'm pretty crazy about my reptilian friends.

I'm not going to give up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back