Sensible stray cat solution

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think educating cat owners is the key. I have heard of one method of education that I thought was very effective (although it could well have been an urban myth)……Person traps cats on their property, shaves cat with hair clippers, writes on cats skin with non toxic marker a note….”Last chance, next time I catch kitty on my property he no come home”. Releases cat to allow it to return home…..

I can't even understand how this is under debate.

If someones pet snake escaped, and later found out a neighbour had killed it because it had got into their yard, everybody would be up in arms. Same thing with a dog (dogs kill native wildlife too, don't forget. I've probably seen more damage done by dogs than cats. Or how about I shoot you if you walk into my yard, humans are much worse than cats too.)

FORGET for a minute that they're cats. Just forget it. It all comes down to one basic point, IT IS SOMEONES PET AND MUCH LOVED FAMILY MEMBER. Sure you might catch feral ones, in that case you would know it's feral. If it has a collar, or otherwise appears to be someone's pet - do the bloody right thing and find the owners or drop it to the pound.

Vixen, if a reptile of mine (or any other animal that is to remain on my property) escaped and ended up with a shovel through it, I would have no one to blame but myself. Would I be upset? Of course I will, but it would be all my fault if it got killed and I would not hold the person who did it accountable. And I would accept it as a lesson to ensure it doesn't happen again...

If it is a much loved pet, then why isn't it in the owners house keeping them company? Did it run-away? I doubt it... Many people have dog/cat doors allowing their cats to leave their property when ever they see fit, sometimes for days, then they come back for a feed and do it all over again.

Cats, unless kept indoors, are a pest and seen as feral's. They go where ever they like, killing/destroying native fauna in the process..

If you are catching the same cat multiple times, find it a new home where you know has responsible owners (or find a friend willing to rehome it, I know I would put up my hand to help rehome an animal if it's life was on the line).

This would be a complete waste of anyone's time - I know I definitely wouldn't have the time to drive the amount of cats that come into my yard to a pound or new owner, let alone people who live on a large block of land.

I think educating cat owners is the key.

Like that will ever happen...

I have heard of one method of education that I thought was very effective (although it could well have been an urban myth)……Person traps cats on their property, shaves cat with hair clippers, writes on cats skin with non toxic marker a note….”Last chance, next time I catch kitty on my property he no come home”. Releases cat to allow it to return home…..

Lmfao...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back