Marking Rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I was just wondering if/how people mark their rodents? I want to identify them for a couple of reasons (e.g. rats for the ones that grow quickest and mice for larger litters etc) but I don't know what to use. I tried food dye once because I figured it was natural but that was messy and only lasted a week at best.
I've heard some people clip their ears but I'd prefer not to do that. I am considering nail polish but am a bit worried about poisoning them or siblings/parents who try to clean them.
So any suggestions?

I get the impression from your post that you have a large number of breeders in large enclosures (correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps use smaller enclosures or maternity tubs instead of marking them. That way you can select while still the young are still dependant. That's what I do, at weaning time those with a lot of brothers and sisters, or are exceptionally large, go into the "Happy" grow out cage, where they stand a chance of making it into a breeding enclosure. Runts and small litters go to the "Unhappy" grow out cage, from whence they normally travel to the snake room or freezer via the soda stream.

Nah I only have a very small set up and the mothers are separated when they look ready to pop. Your suggestion is pretty good though. I might have to just separate them earlier than I do when there is still a fairly obvious size difference.

Vegetable dye their skin- ears/tail.Only lasts a week or so before you need to redo, but it's quick and easy.

When counting and sexing a grow cage full of young ones, I just draw on them with a white board marker, using a different colour depending on what I'll do with them.
Then when I finished, Put all the blue in this tub, black in this one etc.
Only lasts a day or so, but long enough for what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back