Poisonous snake loose in wollongong

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but if you are not aborigine you could be fined lol
I believe since they are pets not wild it doesn't matter of your ethnicity it would come under some form of animal cruelty legislation. Now in terms of wild animals what you say is more or less true, although the law bends to the point that non-indigenous members can eat native wild cuisine prepared by indigenous people. (This is to the best part of my belief but please correct me if wrong and do not take my word here as an expert opinion, it is not).

well this was supposed to be takin with some seriousness because my kids r not the only ones that frequent this area but for those that make a joke of it i guess obviously u r not anywhere near this location.
the key point here is that this part of the gong is extremely public, there are 3 parks, the harbour foreshore and playground within 500 metre radius!! there is a real cause for concern when a VENOMOUS snake has already bitten and killed a dog.....whose child is next!! people that joke and or ridicule a serious thread make me sick!! so come on down to wollongong bring the kids and hopefully ul get bitten by a snake, after all aparently its sumthin that amuses people.

Fay you shud prob close or delete this thread before i go on an inapropriate rant directed at whoever has a go at me for havin this rant!!

well this was supposed to be takin with some seriousness because my kids r not the only ones that frequent this area but for those that make a joke of it i guess obviously u r not anywhere near this location.
the key point here is that this part of the gong is extremely public, there are 3 parks, the harbour foreshore and playground within 500 metre radius!! there is a real cause for concern when a VENOMOUS snake has already bitten and killed a dog.....whose child is next!! people that joke and or ridicule a serious thread make me sick!! so come on down to wollongong bring the kids and hopefully ul get bitten by a snake, after all aparently its sumthin that amuses people.

Fay you shud prob close or delete this thread before i go on an inapropriate rant directed at whoever has a go at me for havin this rant!!

and what would you propose should be done to this "poisonous" snake? Perhaps now that you know the area is prone to venomous snakes, YOU should be more vigilant with were your kids are and what they are doing... The snake is in its natural habitat. Leave them alone and the wont hurt anyone...

Bro, just settle. If you are that concerned call a snake catcher.

And trust me, there are vens and other snakes everywhere! I've pulled them out of the CBD in Darwin and even out of giant cinema complexes.

But before it is closed, these comments you made show you have absolutely no clue about the snakes that are native to your area. You could be bitten by a venomous snake that is native to the gong..... do you understand that? No escapees necessary.

But no, 'Think of the children!' If you don't want them bitten by a venomous snake, then you are raising them in the wrong part of Australia :D

Doesn't take much for a snake to hitch a ride on a car or truck from another area. Whether it be the vehicles themselves or a crate, camping equipment, caravan, what ever...

for those who beleive snakes are not poisenous,(most aint) how about Rhabdophis tigrinus.
View attachment 234727
this snake eats toads and stores their toxins in a gland you can see behind its head.i.e becoming poisenous

Ok does it really matter what wording i use? No helping ppl!! 'Venomous' snakes are native to wollongong yes but iv kived here ova 20 yrs and iv never come across or evem heard of natives living wild in a built up cbd!!

Dude, there's RBB's in the steel works at Port Kembla. How'd they get there? They find their way through sewer pipes, creeks, drains etc There are plenty of built up areas of Wollongong with venomous snakes. I've lived here 31 years ;)

am Tired of all this levity. on a far more serious note.................I don,t think Tomic can win to-night , but GEEEEEEEEEEEE11 , I hope he does

Unless it was a taipan...then you could pretty well put your money on an escapee...

Definitely range extension, not an escappee.

If you have a quick Google you can see areas that would be more than adequate red belly habitat, and with the recent deluges its not impossible for snakes to come down from the escarpment to the parkland along the foreshore.

I used to live down that way and if you don't think there are plenty of wild vens down that way I would suggest opening your eyes.

I now live in Toowoomba QLD and have pulled vens out of the grand central shopping complex 3 floors up. Snakes don't see the borders of a town and stop there. Sometimes they make there own way into towns, sometimes they catch a ride. But they will live anywhere they can find a food source.

The chances the snake in question was captive breed are fairly far fetched hence most people think this has to be a wind up.

I now live in Toowoomba QLD and have pulled vens out of the grand central shopping complex 3 floors up.

I think it would be female.....they really seem to be clued on that shopping is fun! ;) There was a brown hitching a ride on the escalators at Grand Plaza shopping center a few weeks back......'she' almost made it to the same sales i was headed for! :lol:

the reality is mate people are pigs that make mess rodents come for the mess snakes come for the rodents circle of life

yep...I live next to the National park...occasionally we have stray Tigers, browns and red bellies coming either through our yard or within the surounding area...To my knowledge, no one in this area has ever been bitten...if you dig deeper about the ones who are bitten you can almost definitely put your money on the fact that they were either antagonising it with a stick or trying to brain it with a shovel...Snakes dont attack humans..they look for the best possibly escape route.

I also lived near Wollongong in the late 80's....I saw snakes there....they can and do come into residential areas as we as humans are pretty good sources of food (not us personanly) as we throw out a lot of crap foodstuff which mice and rats love...this is called a food chain. Get used to it or move into a high rise apartment in the CBD of Wollongong or Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back