snake escaped and ate my budgies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

striker321

Reaction score
i just got home from work to find that my coastal carpet had escaped from his cage and found his way into my budgies bird cage and ate both of them !!
his escape point was through the roof of the enclosure, where the fluro light housings sits on.
the widest part of his body was about 3 times the size of the gaps of the cage, question i have is are they able to flatten their body enough to fit through the gaps?IMG_1285.jpgIMG_1287.jpg

first off i dont want to be mean but damn thats kinda funny (he escapes and the first thing he looks for is a feed).
Second they can fit thru some impossible looking spots,i learnt that from experience by the way.

What kinda enclosure do you have ???? seems strange he got out thru the roof unless you have a fish tank enclosure

would he like 2 more budgies to eat?? i have 2 both called evil 1 and evil 2....i hate them

sorry man but thats freakin awesome! i know im not ment to laugh but hahahahahah
if it went in and ate 2 birds in a cage b4 escaping, 1st question is, how often and how much do you feed him?
it seems like he escaped for food not to escape......

he gets 2 hopper rats every week and a half or so,
the bird cage was sitting right next to the enclosure, is it possibly that the chirps from the budgies annoyed him in anyway?
ill upload pics of the enclosure in a few minutes

Come on now, it escaped because it could. The budgies were a bonus (sorry, rip) Pretty funny though.

yea next time i wouldnt put the budgie cage next to the enclosure and yea sometimes the escape just cos they can

We have plenty of wild birds that visit our balcony. The bhp always sees them and starts angling for a shot at them. Wether it's a crimson finch or a cockatoo.

The little Darwin is very interested in the finches but heads for a cave when the cockie is around. She recognises flying bolt cutters when she sees them!

Last edited:
he gets 2 hopper rats every week and a half or so,
the bird cage was sitting right next to the enclosure, is it possibly that the chirps from the budgies annoyed him in anyway?
ill upload pics of the enclosure in a few minutes

No, i dont think he ate them coz they annoyed him lol. Snakes are opportunistic feeders. He escaped because it was possible to escape. The budgies were just a feed he found along the way. I love birds but honestly that photo with him at the bottom of the cage supporting a gut is priceless ;)

It happens striker,i had a male adult alice springs stimsons that escaped from the back of the house and made it over to the garage then into a mouse cage where it ate the occupants.
Was a stimsons adult that had been originally wild caught and a off and on feeder,never adapted well but fed great when out and about.

It had to go through wire on the cage and was too fat to get back out,like a politician at feeding time at parliament house.

thats why i only feed frozen rats to my python kinda feel cruel giving live oh and plus the dangers but id look at it this way mate least its had a feed this week so ya save some cash :)

lol I've had exactly the same thing happen http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/escapee-found-152733/
Looks like we may have stumbled on a good way to recapture escaped snakes

Reminds of years back about 1970,i was at sea acres at port macquarie that has a rainforrest walk near the ocean and they had on display a small adult diamond that had gone into their bird cage and consumed several of the little budgies.
Keeping birds outside their is just like meals on wheels,real easy pickings.

i always heard that the quickest way to make a million was to breed budgies, now it seems the quickest way to make 2 million! :) sorry for the loss of your pets!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back