Evil Jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluelindley

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a year old Female Jungle which doesnt like to be handled or even get out of her enclosure, all she does is strike. I havent been bitten yet but i can see it coming. The question im trying to get to is, how do i stop her from doing this or should i just man up and take the bite :)

Thanks for any help

It's a jungle, they're mostly a snappy species but yes man up : D
That is not true, most Jungles are actually placid, they are however a bit more likely to be snappy than other carpets, still most are not.

I suggest persevering with handling, even with a hook at first, she will most likely calm down to some degree eventually

Around 4 months ive had her and she dont like the sight of a hook either.... Looks like my arm is going to have a few, no alot of teeth marks tomorrow :)

Im having a bit of trouble with my MD at the moment went from 11 months of easily handling to agrressive nature, i actually bought some welders gloves yesterday as i thought she was definatly gonna tag me, put them on last night sniffed em but didnt strike me and it was the first time she actually wanted to come out of her cage and dint mind sliding over the feel of the gloves, a bit harder to get the feel of her, but just wanted some protection incase she struck, and have now put them away until she gets in one of her moods again, lol

Use a snake hook to get her out of her cage; a small metal object won't bother her too much whereas 2 hands attached to a big scary human will scare the **** out of her, which puts her in defensive mode before you've even started handling her. You want her in relaxed/exploring mode so keep that in mind. If she's out and about, open her cage door and let her come out of her own free will if at all possible. When handling, keep your hands away from her face, try to remain unseen - hold her so she is facing away from you, try not to restrict her movement as she will feel as though something has got a hold of her which she will not like. As she moves foward you will need to move one of your hands forward to support her, do this gently keeping your hand out of her line of sight - be the tree as someone once said. Being a yearling you can probably still hold her between the fingers of your hands. Use the contact of your hands/fingers with her skin to create a slight bit of friction This will allow you to control how fast she moves, but remember you don't want to restrict her or she'll panic. So only slight friction, this also gives you the benefit of a) knowing immediately if she's going to lunge which could result in her falling from your hands onto the ground and b) if she does lunge, a quick squeeze of your hands and you will have a good grip on her preventing her from falling and possibly injuring herself. It will probably result in a bite but better an injury to you then to the snake.

That'll do for now, hate typing on this stupid phone. :)

Man up.
When you get bitten and stop writhing around the floor in agony,
you will have no pain, a tiny speck of blood and you will laugh yourself silly over your fears.

I posted something similar about my yearling!
Is this your first snake?

The best advice i got was wear gloves and keep persisting with the hook!

I started off this way and am now getting her out with a gloved hand, no hook.
once shes out, I transfer her onto my bare hand and then take the glove off.
eventually I hope to get her out gloveless no worries.

It takes time but you'll get there :)

Youll eventually cop a bite and you'll quickly see (like I did), you've had worse paper cuts.

Edit: yeah even though it doesn't hurt it still scares the **** out of me, so wearing the gloves doesn't make me flinch, in turn, not hurting her pretty teeth haha

Use a snake hook to get her out of her cage; a small metal object won't bother her too much whereas 2 hands attached to a big scary human will scare the **** out of her, which puts her in defensive mode before you've even started handling her. You want her in relaxed/exploring mode so keep that in mind. If she's out and about, open her cage door and let her come out of her own free will if at all possible. When handling, keep your hands away from her face, try to remain unseen - hold her so she is facing away from you, try not to restrict her movement as she will feel as though something has got a hold of her which she will not like. As she moves foward you will need to move one of your hands forward to support her, do this gently keeping your hand out of her line of sight - be the tree as someone once said. Being a yearling you can probably still hold her between the fingers of your hands. Use the contact of your hands/fingers with her skin to create a slight bit of friction This will allow you to control how fast she moves, but remember you don't want to restrict her or she'll panic. So only slight friction, this also gives you the benefit of a) knowing immediately if she's going to lunge which could result in her falling from your hands onto the ground and b) if she does lunge, a quick squeeze of your hands and you will have a good grip on her preventing her from falling and possibly injuring herself. It will probably result in a bite but better an injury to you then to the snake.

That'll do for now, hate typing on this stupid phone. :)

That almost 'sounded' like a bedtime story! So relaxing! :lol: Very detailed, handy advice :)

Thanks for all the advice guys and no s0041464 she is actually my 4th snake. Yes you think i would be use to this by now but my other three are very placid compared to her.

Oh well 1 in 4 isn't too bad?
Keep at it, don;t give up. If my jungle is anything to go buy, it will become handleable.

Hey Guys, I have a year old Female Jungle which doesnt like to be handled or even get out of her enclosure, all she does is strike. I havent been bitten yet but i can see it coming. The question im trying to get to is, how do i stop her from doing this or should i just man up and take the bite :)

Thanks for any help
heres a crazy thought , maybe leave it be for a few months

i used to be unsure about snappy snakes! now i can handle the worst!
just dont be afraid if they bite u they bite you and its out of the way!

mate I love a snappy snake, there is nothing that wakes you up like a love bite from a jungle, bit of blood a little sting and its all over
I got done by a 7 foot diamond python the first day i got her, she had not had a feed for 6 months due to the idiot that owned her being too scared to even open her viv door to feed her, she wrapped up my arm like a rat for 20 mins, then when she finally let go I attempted to unwrap her and she hit my other hand and wrapped me up for another 20 mins, after that she got a rabbit and she has never bitten since.

Hey mate, i got a new 2 year old male jungle on wednesday :D, if i go close up to the glass in his enclosure he just stares at me and does nohting but if someone else does that he strikes at them. Can someone explain why this is happening? :)

Bahahaha i have a one year old jungle i called jaws, there is a very good reason i called him that... lol its all i saw for the last year. I lost count in the first week how many times i got bitten, same thing though hated being taken out or handled, did everything i was told i got him as a hatchie followed all the protocol so to speak. I finally decided bugger it... i took him out every day sometimes twice a day i really helped to take him outside so he was distracted in that rather than biting me and that was the key, as soon as i took him out i took him outside and i did that for months and low and behold i noticed that he was settling now i have a beautiful jungle who has settled, still a tiny bit flighty but with each time he gets better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back