snake escaped and ate my budgies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the widest part of his body was about 3 times the size of the gaps of the cage, question i have is are they able to flatten their body enough to fit through the gaps?

Oh dear. I'm sorry about the budgies.

To answer your question, when I touch my stimmie she'll sometimes flatten her body at that point. I reckon she could easily fit through a gap that looks three times thinner than her body. I've also seen her squeeze through some very thin gaps during her wanderings. She seems to like going through small gaps. She could go around, but no, she has to squeeze through them. :)

Stay positive and look on the bright side, you wont have to deal with the constant mess and noise budgies make. Since you have more space now you don't need a budgie cage it might be a good time to put in another snake cage to help deal with the trauma and sudden loss of the much loved and cherished snake food .............. I mean budgies.

my pop breeds budgies so weneer i go to visit its like a fat kid to a cup cake when i get home to my snakes lol

My 7 year old daughter had a Love Bird. We used to hang it's cage in the Mango tree for some outside time.
One evening she came in screaming that a monster had eaten her bird and was still in the cage.

I launched out the door and there was a huge brushtail possum jammed in the cage. I had to laugh because (a) I'd never seen a square possum before and (b) his nuts had fallen through the bars and were giving him some grief (apart from everything else!)

Long story short he was trapped. I called P&WS but he just ripped the cage apart and left. That was funny too.

My daughter was devestated though. Eventually we decided the bird had got away and the possum was after the bit of apple in the cage. Such is life.

Last edited:
Maybe he pushed the lid up and squeezed out? I think you could try weighting it down with a plank of wood along the gap. He's done it once and scored a good feed! (Sorry).
We had 3 young chickens and our resident loft python decided that he wasn't satisfied with the rodents around the chicken coop anymore. It was 8pm when we heard a chook making a fuss. Problem was the snake had already consumed her 2 sisters! She only raised the alarm when she found herself alone.... Chickens can be so dumb!

Chickens can be so dumb!

I actually asked myself today: Are there feral chooks anywhere on the planet? Even though humans have taken them everywhere, I've never heard of a feral chook problem. They get themselves eaten too easily.

Really sorry for the loss of your budgies!
No matter what kind of pet they are its hard to loose them.
Looking at the photo your snake, its kinda of has a sheepish look like it knows it's done something wrong!
Not that it is actually the case.
Guess the first thing to do is fix how it got out and then (after you have gotten over the grief) get some new birds.
If your getting new birds I recommend a hand raised quaker, they are awesome!
Like an affectionate cat in bird form.

I think if the snake was smart (not having a go at your snake here) it would gone back to his enclosure and waited for you to return while trying not burp up feathers

Im sorry for your loss

I actually asked myself today: Are there feral chooks anywhere on the planet? Even though humans have taken them everywhere, I've never heard of a feral chook problem. They get themselves eaten too easily.

Native to what's curremtly called Indonesia. Buk buk.....buk buk buk...buk...bukbuk

he gets 2 hopper rats every week and a half or so,
the bird cage was sitting right next to the enclosure, is it possibly that the chirps from the budgies annoyed him in anyway?
ill upload pics of the enclosure in a few minutes

Pretty sure the "chirps" didn't annoy him, unless your snake has ears? You really shouldn't hang KFC over your snakes enclosure
that's just asking for it. Sorry bout the loss of your birds..................but ha ha haha ha ha, oops ha ha Really am trying to sympathise it just ain't working.

If they are hungry enough and skinny enough they will be able to squeeze in through the bars of the cage.
The budgies in the belly then stop it from escaping.
A bird in a cage is a very effective snaketrap in some areas and
Ive been called out to a few snakes that have trapped themselves in bird cages.
I call them Budgie Smugglers.

Are 2 hopper rats a big enough meal for him? He loos relatively large and hoppers arn't all that big?

I mean how big were your birds compared to the hopper rats??

My adult pregnant jungle (5-6feet) fit through a small gap I accidently left in the locked class of about 2-3cm... NOT MUCH considering she was FAT AS HELL due to pregnancy...

I found her sitting on top of the diamond cages... and scared the ****e out of me because they sit on top of her cage, so she was above head hight and at night i just walked strait up and looked into the cage and went oh must be hiding, (no lights on) then i saw this sillohette just appear above me and freaked me the f out :)

Sorry about your budgies!

the widest part of his body was about 3 times the size of the gaps of the cage, question i have is are they able to flatten their body enough to fit through the gaps?
Bars barely slow snakes down. And they have the added bonus of stopping the birds escaping. I feel real sorry for the second budgie, watching its mate get digested while waiting its turn

Wether it's a crimson finch or a cockatoo.
I love crimsons. Only ever seen a couple of wild ones though.

The little Darwin is very interested in the finches but heads for a cave when the cockie is around. She recognises flying bolt cutters when she sees them!
She would be terrified around here. Also we have Yellow tails hanging around atm, they make sulphurs look girly!

Looks like we may have stumbled on a good way to recapture escaped snakes
My thoughts exactly, though instead of budgies I would probably need pheasants.

I think if the snake was smart (not having a go at your snake here) it would gone back to his enclosure and waited for you to return while trying not burp up feathers

Im sorry for your loss

well he did have a feather stuck to the corner of his mouth, its hard to say but it was a little funny

Are 2 hopper rats a big enough meal for him? He loos relatively large and hoppers arn't all that big?

I mean how big were your birds compared to the hopper rats??!

1 budgie would have been about 2 hopper rats, it always looked like he struggled with a hopper rat but i was obviously wrong !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back