Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asked why do I have a pet snake cause they are slimy, but when I corrected him, all of a sudden he knew that lol

---

Last edited:
if a python lays next to you, it is sizing you up for a meal

had a girl tell me that when she was buying a beardie hatchy off me,lol

I hear that annoying myth all the time to in America.

Oh and also this is annoying to hear/read.

"My staffy/dog "saved" me or my kids from that horrible attack venomous snake"...Which means in reality the staffy being a predatory dog attacked the snake in the 1st place with the intention to kill and eat it...It wasn't saving you dummy.

Last edited:
"if a python lays next to you, it is sizing you up for a meal"

Pretty sure EVERY person who knows I keep pythons has told me that.

Same here, whenever a person tells me that story now I don't know whether to laugh or bash my head on the table I'm sitting at.

"and My snake wags its tail and jumps around with excitement whenever i go near its enclosure.

And a vet told me it normal for my python to follow me around my house while im cleaning.

Oh and i had to get rid of my 25ft coastal couse it tried to eat my friend.

And you now snakes want to just kill you couse they never relax enough to shut they eyes."

I love it. people are idiots.

Same here, whenever a person tells me that story now I don't know whether to laugh or bash my head on the table I'm sitting at.

Laugh, it's good for tension. Then keep going, make it gradually more and more frantic until they look slightly concerned, then stop. *Then* tell them that every time their dog licks theim they're testing their skin for tastiness and one day they'll wake up half-eaten; it's true because a friend of your second cousin's budgie's nana's owner had it happen to them, and now they have no legs. :D

Laugh, it's good for tension. Then keep going, make it gradually more and more frantic until they look slightly concerned, then stop. *Then* tell them that every time their dog licks theim they're testing their skin for tastiness and one day they'll wake up half-eaten; it's true because a friend of your second cousin's budgie's nana's owner had it happen to them, and now they have no legs. :D

do you know cheryl too?

"and My snake wags its tail and jumps around with excitement whenever i go near its enclosure.

Sounds like my womas when hungry.

I often hear the one about a camper killing a snake that tried to attack him and then later that night getting killed after the snakes mate tracked him up the hill to the camp site and snuck into his tent only and performed its vengance assassination

do you know cheryl too?

You're not going to believe this, but I am absolutely serious right now, Cheryl is my mother's name. Dead set, it's even spelled the same. I actually spun out a little right there...

the snakes mate tracked him up the hill to the camp site and snuck into his tent only and performed its vengance assassination

All I could think was "Vende-taaaaah!!" when I read that :p

recently a guy I used to work with who I still talk to occasionally only just found out I have a pet python... since I have two young daughters he first tells me that the python will eat my children when my wife and I are alseep.... so I explain the trouble my python has swallowing a small rat let alone the possibility of swallowing something almost as big as its self..... after the pause that followed this came out:

"well you know the python has poisonous bones.."
"no it doesn't"
"yeh its true.. and has spikes all over its skin that has the poison in it too so if you pick it up you'll get sick"
"that's BS dude.. I handle my carpet python all the time.... and that's the first time I've ever heard anything like that... "
"well maybe its not all pythons but back in india I know there is at least one type that has the spikes..."

the arguement went on a little from there.. but I think you get the drift....

Last edited:
This thread has me crying with laughter. Someone needs to put them all into a book and publish it.

Ive heard most of them. My best friend told me just the other day that a friend of hers has a python that kept climbing in to bed with her and they figured that it was sizing her up to eat her. I just shook my head.

Another I hear is that if you have black snakes you won't have brown snakes. I explain that black snakes predate browns it's not going to stop them coming on the property. I get told this on a weekly basis.

Another one I've been told a few times is that a blue tongue bite will reopen on the anniversary of the bite every year.

Maybe ssssnakeman has something with the milk theory. Where did that start? Who would think to put milk out to attract snakes? I searched a house in Tahmoor for a rbb without success. The homeowner left out a saucer of milk which was empty when I went back the next day. The house was empty overnight. The snake was found 2 days later in the house and unfortunately killed by the home owners son. No other pets in the house except maybe rodents which is probably what the snake was after.

Another one I've been told a few times is that a blue tongue bite will reopen on the anniversary of the bite every year.

Jacquie, I argued against this myth with a well known reptile breeder on this website..the guy kept pulling out all kinds of bonkers references and anecdotes. Eventually I gave up and he went away happy. 5000 post counts does not equal smarts.

I had my Grandma and mother over some time ago and I was showing them both my stimmi. Mum was not at all keen to touch or hold her as she thought she would be all slimy. I was about to correct mum when grandma (86yrs young) piped up with this "Dont be so silly! Snakes are not slimy at all if youd just touch one you will see! Next thing you will be telling Vet (Short for Verity, me) that she will be asleep one night and it will crawl into bed with her and size her up for a meal!!" I could not stop laughing!!! Grandma then went on to hold my girl with and tell me how lucky I am to have her and she cant w8 till I get more!!! After this mum was not so freaked out and has now been able to touch and hold her more with each visit!!

Got told the other day if you throw a snake onto a fire legs will grow and it will run away.....

Lol, that's the best! :lol:

Most of these, " this snake was soo BIG''... sound like one of them alone fishing trips, were u catch a small fish and each time u tell the story it get gradually bigger :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back