Best substrate for a baby Beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decoy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a baby Beardie arriving soon and am in the process of decking out the terrerium. I've heard that sand bases can cause impaction, but I'm not too keen to just leave the glass base - and I'd rather not use newspaper as crickets and such will just hide underneath it. I was wondering what others were using as a base in enclosures for young Beardies?

Cheers!

I use red desert sand collected from a friends farm in the mallee here in Vic. The breeder I got mine off has them on sand.

Use some red sand collected from the roadside or some sand collected from the beach. Play sand is made up of small rocks crushed so isnt really sand.

You can use sand as long as you take the babies out to feed. Newspaper or paper towel is the best though. If your worried about crickets hiding underneath then tape around the edges of the newspaper.

Either feed out of his normal tank, or feed crickets one by one then there is no change of crickets being left behind. I get a freezer bag, collect the right number of crickets, dust with calcium and shake a little so they are all coated.The drop crickets in the enclosure, one by one. NEVER leave crickets in their, they are nasty evil little buggers that turn on beardies when the lights go out....

I use astro turf for my baby, it makes spot cleaning a breeze, & once a week i just take it out, hose it off & leave it to dry in the sun.

& NO, please dont use tape inside the enclosure to hold anything down! That really is quite a silly idea, & will cause serious injuries to your beardie if/when it gets stuck!

I remember reading a snake thread about a snake that either at the tape or got it caught round his body (can't quite remember as it was during a bout of insomnia)

I use astro turf - cheep as chips - just make sure to give it a good vaccuum before you put it in and pull off the frayed bits at the edges. also make sure it fits in properly with no gaps at the sides - i found a sneaky cricket underneath mine this morning ! if you decide to go for red sand you can buy super fine stuff from the pet shop :)

i used sand didnt like it and then went to astro turf love it easy as to clean cheap as chips to buy and i got enough that i can have one being washed and dried and one in the enclosure and a spare in the cupboard and even 2 smaller peices for the outside tub for when cleaning the inside tanks and for getting natural uv

also i think its a bit of personal preference what works for you and your beardie just do not use tape lil claws can get stuck and pull and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back