Fluon alternatives?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo2

Reaction score
It's been a while since it became 'unavailable' so what are the alternatives that are proving themselves over time??

I understand the the following have some form of success, but how good are they really in your practice:

a. Vaseline
b. Chalk
c. Silicon Spray (how is this applied?)
d. any others?

Gotta keep those woodies under control!!

Cheers
Steve

i find vaseline heaps better than fluon, i have a bottle of the crap somewhere, but use vaso cos it works better,....

my 'dusting' container doesnt need anythign since they cant climb the calcium coated walls,....

for those that wish to use fluon, its still available through camos reptiles.
Paint it on, let it dry. done. And i dont have to reapply for 12 months. A whole lot easier than vaso IMO.
As for the others on the list I haven't tried them.

Chase

I have had nothing on my woodies for so long.... Just got to be quick haha. In reality I keep forgetting to buy some when I go to the shops.

i only use a smear of vaseline around the top. when it gets hot, it does soften, but there is not enough on there to make it drip down the sides. last couple of days herp room has been sitting on low 30's ambient temp in the afternoon. vaseline has still not dripped. i've used it for a couple years now, and never had a trouble. when cleaning the tubs i just tip out the waste from one corner, wipe that corner with paper towel and then reapply a bit of vas in that 1 section. it's too easy imo

even olive oil works when you cant find vaseline, thats how thin the coating can be,......the thinner the better really.

I tried silicone spray because i just happened to have some around and Fluon was not a drop down the shop and pick it up option for me. (i needed it that day)
It works really well and so far i have not had any escapees. For the dragons feed bowls i sprayed a little on a tissue and wiped it on the inside of the bowl. For my woodie colony i simply sprayed the inside of the sides at the top while the tub was empty. You only need a tiny amount. One quick pass with the spray is more than enough (if you can see it you have sprayed more than you need). The best bit is that because it is dry when finished, dust etc does not stick to it.
Have had the woodies going for about a month now and they still lose traction and fall off or turn around. I was planning on getting fluon but i wont bother now due to the success i have had with silicone spray. One can would last years.
Cheers
Damian

And i dont have to reapply for 12 months. A whole lot easier than vaso IMO.

12 months? Phew.. I fed my woodies yesterday and was a little worried they were getting to the stage of being able to climb out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back