Spider ID help pleeeeeease!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cerberus

Reaction score
I think its a Trapdoor, but the colouring is amazing! and havnt been able to locate any white trapdoors on google yet......

Attachments

• IMGA0018.jpg
    IMGA0018.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
Wow, that's ridiculously wonderful, whatever it is.

its spidermans cousin lol..................dont know what it is looks cool but i dont like spiders so ill just take afew steps away from my monitor :p

It might have a trapdoor on it's burrow but it's not a type of Trapdoor Spider.

It's a Wolf Spider (Lycosidae: general body shape and eye pattern). Have no idea on what species of wolf spider but it is very pretty.

It looks like a Hoggicosa bicolor, or Desert Wolf Spider.

Not a trap door.

Last edited:
BrownHash and saratoga have it. It is a female Hoggicosa bicolor. The spider burrow it was occupying was built by a trapdoor spider and not the Wold Spider. They are happy to occupy disused spider burrows and the like as they are quite a wide ranging spider at times.

Magic find! Well done.

Blue

Very nicely decorated spider. They are among my favourite spiders to keep and this one of the nicest ones I have seen. They are spectacular to observe feeding often launching themselves at prey. All the wolf spiders I have kept have made their own lidded burrows.

DSC_0015.jpg

lycosa bicolor, brilliant find
the NT form of these guys is an even richer yellow/gold colour, and even some more north WA forms are like this, while some have full strong yellow legs with black body ... not sure if they will be spilt into several species or they are just colourforms ... awesome spiders nonetheless, and hopefully one pops up in WQLD so it can be kept !

@Bluetongue : what makes you think that is a trapdoor burrow?, looks pretty wolf spider to me ;)

Last edited:
Had a look this morning and his lids closed, sorry, her. lol. the burrow is just outside my bathroom windows so i will be keeping an eye on her and hopfully get to see her hunt or something lol

Also how did you identify it as a female bluetounge?

Last edited:
females have much more robust bodies than males, while males are slender with long legs, im not sure this rule goes with bicolor, but males of lycosa godeffroyi (and i think possibly all aussie wolfies) have bulbs on the end of their pedipalps - cant see it in that pic

Very nicely decorated spider. They are among my favourite spiders to keep and this one of the nicest ones I have seen. They are spectacular to observe feeding often launching themselves at prey. All the wolf spiders I have kept have made their own lidded burrows.

DSC_0015.jpg

This looks like the one I saw today

Cheers Brenton

DSC_0015.jpg

if im correct this is only about 1.5 cm long?
it is NOT a bicolor, although they look similiar, this is as big as they get ... and im even sure if they are a lycosid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back