Bearded Dragon Keeping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atothej09

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently went to investigate a Bearded Dragon breeder to have a close up look at the animals and research what amount of time and effort I would need to invest to adequately look after this type of specie.

I travel allot for work and sometimes gone for a week or two at a time (most travel is average of 3 days at a time).

The breeder said that that would not affect the looking after a Bearded Dragon, as long as I left it with enough food and water, all would be good when I get back from my travels.

I spoke to somebody else about looking after Bearded Dragons and he said that to adequately care for this animal I would not be able to travel for so long, stating that I would need to change food and water regularly, not leaving it any longer than 3 days at a time max.

I do not proceed to purchase any animal if I cannot comfortably give it minimum basic care.

As I found with many reptile owners, we all have different opinions, I am interested in what the majority have to say on this topic.

They're easy to care for but yeah.. a bit of high maintenance specially when young as you would need to feed them daily.

Adults can be left for 3 days with adequate food... just some veg and their fine.

if i go away for 3 days i cut a small hole in the corner of a tub of crickets and put it in the enclosre so the beardies can eat them as they come out, big handful of veg and a fresh bowl of water , then away i go. thats 1-2 times a year tho. i wouldnt recomend doing that regularly, as most chances are the crickets all come out to eat the veg right as soon as i leave, and get gobbled up in the 1st 5 mins

Three days maybe, but only once their older, (over a year), would not leave juviniles that long.

If I was going away for a weekend I always dropped their temps a bit to lower their activity.

a problem i can see is their water wouldnt stay fresh for very long seeing as mine trample through their water bowl quite regulary.Also vegies tend to go off after a day.

Well so far the majority has spoken.
I can comfortable say I will not be purchasing one.
It's a shame, they look awesome and I've been told temperaments are also good.
I will admire from afar...

living at home makes it easier for me to leave yoda and Isis. i go away about 3 times a year for about a week so mum looks after them....i make sure to feed them before i go away and at day 3 mum gives them a veg mix and tops up the water then i feed them when i get home.

Hey Atothej09! :)

For what it's worth, as your decision is now made (and the right one, I might add!), I too am with Greg and RI on this - the most I would leave my adults "unattended" is two days. As young dragons, I wouldn't leave them at all. As RI suggested, the Beardies are much more "high maintenance" than the pythons (in comparison), and, as such, are best left with a "Critter Sitter", or just stick with your pythons for now...

All the best,
Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back