Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rafikie_2012

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i was trieng to handle my 1 year old spotted for the first time, i put her in her bag let her settle and tried to coax her out onto my hands, she started to come out and was smelling me heaps then when i tryed to move my hand she struck, she clipped my hand with her head so i picked her up and put her back in her cage i put the lid on and sat down in front of her, she then struck again but wass stopped by the end of the enclouser, i think she sensed my nervisnes. so as you can see i need help badly, if you can help a newbie and his spotted, they will be very gratefull.

hope you can help!!!!
anything will doooo......

did you only just get it home? if so, then give the snake a week or so to settle down, make sure that it has plenty of hides and is in a nice quiet part of the house

yes i have had here since last saturday, i fed her tuesday and she smashed it, this happen like ten minutes ago

If you fed her on Tuesday you mean yesterday? she would not have digested her food yet. I don't handle mine for a few days after they've eaten.
Also if she tagged you, you will know it doesn't hurt so stop being so nervous.

Last edited:
no i have had her for five days
and thanks darlyn i will do that, i alredy knew it dident hurt, ive handled a fully grow one heaps, but i dont know why i am so nervous

btw are they cranky after a feed?

btw are they cranky after a feed?

Not necessarily cranky......just full. It is like when you go to a restaurant, the last thing you want is a waiter trying to shove you out the door right after you finish your last mouthful.....digestion takes time!

In my experience of 4 years. No expert but have realised that they are in strike mode for at least 2 days from feeding as they are still wanting to eat more,. I use a garden glove to let them know it's pick up time and I have no problems. In fact my 7ft coastal had eaten the day before and I discovered her heat bulb had blown so I had to move her out to replace it so I put on my gloves and very slowly let her know I was coming and she was fine. Never done that before. also used boxes as hides for when they were small. Picking them up out of the boxes was so easy and less stressful for both of us!! Hope this helps

What Jas101 said. You really need to leave it alone. Coming to a new environment is stressful
for most snakes. Let it settle for 2 weeks. Feed it. leave it for 4 more days then try to handle.
Remember you have a lot of time ahead of you to be able to handle your snake. Freaking her out
at the beginning is not going to make it easy for you, just leave her be for now.

Ooops, my bad, the tiny little words on the phone looked like sunday and being wednesday i thought today was day 3.
Maybe my math aint so good! I had an argument with it the other day and sent it a letter.

"Dear Math, I'm sick and tired of you asking me to find your X, just accept the fact she's gone, it's over...MOVE ON!"

Anyways, the advice given above about waiting a liitle longer is the go.
As for handling, this episode of snakebytes tv may help an dif not, it's funny to watch people get bit. :D

Snake Bytes TV - Handling the Meanest Snakes in the World! SnakeBytesTV - YouTube

What Jas101 said. You really need to leave it alone. Coming to a new environment is stressful
for most snakes. Let it settle for 2 weeks. Feed it. leave it for 4 more days then try to handle.
Remember you have a lot of time ahead of you to be able to handle your snake. Freaking her out
at the beginning is not going to make it easy for you, just leave her be for now.

I'm new to this too so keep that in mind when I say I agree 100% with the above post.
Having said that I think it will do the same thing even after doing all that if you go about it the same way.
tried to coax her out onto my hands.
Keeping in mind I'm new to this I don't think you should be confronting your new snake head on ( if I read it right ) I started be picking it up in the middle of the snake with the head facing away from me and she has never looked like biting me. I'm happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong though like I said I'm new to this too. Maybe I shouldn't say anything for a few years. lol

Last edited:
THANKYOU!!!!!! thankyou all, i will wait two weeks then feed her wait four days and try to grab her in the midsection while she is not looking and me wearing gardening gloves. this has put my mind at ease, thank you all so much.
i will post how it goes if you wish to find out how your advice went!!!!! thx again

Why use gloves man lol it's a little spotted don't just grab her let her know ur there then grab her forget the gloves if ur scared of being bitten find a new hobby

You don't need gloves. If you approach her from behind she won't see your hand coming and panic.
Once you have her out, gently, she will settle.
Fair dinkum if you get tagged you wil get a pin prick + 3 seconds of blood.

Yup. Shrug it off like nothing happend and she should settle. If she doesn't settle after a few minute then think about putting her back.

Well said Jarden... look just gently slip your hand under her mid rift when she is trying to get away and gently pull her out of enclosure...she will be fine...i have a Jungle that i still have to hook out but i only hook to make him turn away then i gently lift him out by hand and once out hes in his element...never been bitten and have various snakes...just every snake is different in there attitude and u will learn to read there different movements...all will be good in the end just dont rush things

i was trieng to handle my 1 year old spotted for the first time, i put her in her bag let her settle and tried to coax her out onto my hands, she started to come out and was smelling me heaps then when i tryed to move my hand she struck, she clipped my hand with her head so i picked her up and put her back in her cage i put the lid on and sat down in front of her, she then struck again but wass stopped by the end of the enclouser, i think she sensed my nervisnes. so as you can see i need help badly, if you can help a newbie and his spotted, they will be very gratefull.

hope you can help!!!!
anything will doooo......

Why'd you put her in a bag? Could you take me through the process of interaction step by step....

But as others said anyway.. let her settle in first for a few weeks and no handling after feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back