Vens and babies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very little risk but probably not worth it. The upside is, however, if the kid does get bitten you would probably get a long story on ACA. Wouldn't that be delightful?

Plus the additional charge of manslaughter! There is always a duty of care around children and personally I wouldnt take the risk.

Plus the additional charge of manslaughter! There is always a duty of care around children and personally I wouldnt take the risk.

Thats if you can live another day knowing your child is gone, in preventable circumstances, screw the bloody charge. Mate, i know i shouldnt be giving you advice since your the parent and im not. But ill add my 2 cents worth. No damage should ever happen from you keeping the elapids, but with everything you gotta protect kids from these days that tiny tiny chance no matter how small in my opinion should not be taken. But you know your capability to keep them locked up( e.g designated room with locked enclosures including locked room etc...) Follow your heart on this one..

Just get one to start with. get a red belly. new born and raise it. watching them grow is amazing. they become apart of you. DADDY FEED ME.... just remember they love food and you cant teach them manners:lol:

funny enough i have mine toilet trainned:D

I have this hankering to get into elapids that won't seem to go away the problem with getting them is I have a beautiful 11 month old baby boy who has absolutely no fear whatsoever of my pythons.

My question is, would it be bad parenting to get say, a RBB? I also doubt I would stop at just 1 ven. Has anybody had any experience with elapids escaping?

I've already told myself a thousand times it's not going to happen because what if?? But like I said, the want won't go away haha.

Cheers,

Daz

It is an interesting dilemma that in the end only you can solve. Perhaps it’s the wording of your post, but I find it unusual that you dismiss the potential danger your pythons could pose. Depending on species kept, some may argue that a large python has just as much, if not more potential to do harm than an elapid. After all there is no antivenene for asphyxiation.

Having said this though, cleaning chemicals, drugs, dogs, firearms, poorly secured flat screen TV’s etc etc can all be fatal to a child yet many families successfully mitigate these risks on a daily basis.

If you feel that you could keep them in locked enclosures within a self locking room then I believe that the associated risk becomes negligible.

Get a baby rbb they dont bite anyway if you handle them regularly it will be very calm and wont bite when older and by that time your toddler will be older and you can show them how to handle snakes on a calmer adult RBB. My six year old daughter helped me relocate a 3 foot rbb yesterday and you would think shes been around snakes all her life, come to think of it she has. Kids are so calm when taught correctly. The snake reflects in this calmness.

I like vens and love RBB's,but that tiny tiny chance of being tagged keeps the pythons coming.

But pythons have heaps of teath...vens only have two, whats there to worry about? ;)

Last edited:
I have a 2&1/2 year old son and one due in a few weeks, our vens are all kept out of the house in our reptile room which is also locked. It only takes one error, one time you forget the lock etc and there is always the chance they can open the cage or you leave it open......I also had a medium sized colletts escape between two glass panels, I had assumed the snakes couldn't do it, until I watched the security film! If your going to have vens, make sure they are kept away from children in my opinion!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got the colletts back as it is in an escape proof room!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

come on aussie hes 15 and you expect him to have an understanding of the english language. bet he goes to private school

Come on thats way to far, im on this ice on this site so im not going to say anything. But come on, why did you have to say that, did you not see my above comment? Im typing with one hand. I dont think i ever get offended by anything, but i think that might of just hit it.

Ohh but yes im 15 that must mean im a total drop kick aye.

Come on thats way to far, im on this ice on this site so im not going to say anything. But come on, why did you have to say that, did you not see my above comment? Im typing with one hand. I dont think i ever get offended by anything, but i think that might of just hit it.

Ohh but yes im 15 that must mean im a total drop kick aye.

if your into reps i wouldnt say your a total drop kick

if your into reps i wouldnt say your a total drop kick

Ohh so im only 15, dont have an understanding of english, but aslong as i own reptiles im not a drop kick? Ohh thats all ok then :p

Last edited:
I believe i said your not a TOTAL drop kick. i have kids and i know how the education department works. Thank god for partial home schooling is all i can say. I just typed that with one hand and only used one finger.

Ohh thats good, im 15 so ive got a bit more learning to do with the one handed typing :p

Heyy i broke my collar bone, pretty hard typing with one hand for a long time, or its just my spelling

Just being cheeky mate don't take it to heart. But i do suggest you invest in a chestie net time you go riding lol ;)

Just being cheeky mate don't take it to heart.

Wasnt aiming all of my other posts at you, i know your just joking. Just got a bit ticked at the other comments. Just waiting for them to be deleted for off topic.

Ohh and ive got a chesty, just couldnt be bothered to take it to a secret track, wasnt dangerous enough for me...well maybe it was ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back