Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found with mine that distraction works well. I would hold her just out of reach of something she wanted to climb on. That would keep her ( the pointy end ) going away from me and I'd just keep putting one hand in front of the other so she stayed in the one spot. I did that a few times and now I am confident with her.

People need to learn to act like trees , trees will gently move around in the breeze not making sudden movements. they dont grab the snake they support its weight, if your calm and caress the snake like a tree you wont get bitten, snakes dont bite trees

People need to learn to act like trees , trees will gently move around in the breeze not making sudden movements. they dont grab the snake they support its weight, if your calm and caress the snake like a tree you wont get bitten, snakes dont bite trees

Tree's don't pick up snakes either

Tree's don't pick up snakes either

do you have a beef with me only you are jumping on me on every thread
if you do have beef what the f ck for

as i said dont pick her up caress and take her weight and she will climb you like tree or are you going to say snakes dont climb trees aswell

Last edited:
do you have a beef with me only you are jumping on me on every thread
if you do have beef what the f ck for

as i said dont pick her up caress and take her wait and she will climb you like tree or are you going to say snakes dont climb trees aswell

Yawn, really?
(Trees will gently move around in the breeze not making sudden movements. they dont grab the snake they support its weight)
Tree's don't make sudden movements??
They also don't pick up snakes. Was I incorrect in what I said?

Also just so you know, I very rarely look at the poster I just react to the comments, maybe I don't like yours? Who knows?

Last edited:
Was there a need for you to say it at all im trying to help someone and your being a di k. Darwin weather really does f ck up some peoples brain or are you using your half sisters warped brain and shes really your aunt and also your grandmother you inbred hick. Wheres Katrina when you need her.

Hmmm......what on earth are you talking about?

Okay so I'm going to write this in a calm manner, so you don't get all upset and write jibberish.
The op is looking for advice in how to handle a newly acquired pet, "be a tree" IMO is weird advice.
Sorry you think I pick on you, but then again after the diatribe above maybe I'm not sorry at all.

I was meerly using a tree as a reference. I didnt say be a tree i said act like tree. Dont make sudden movements, Dont grab the snake just hold its weight. If i can handle a six foot RBB and play with it like python you should be able to handle a little python. People need to calm down and the snake will calm down

Personally I don't think wrightpythons advice is anything but helpful.
Not making sudden movements and suporting the snake seems spot on to me.
Some will still tag you but hey, it happens!
As for gloves, i'm not against it and from my experience, it helps!
I'm fine with the comments of "take it like a man" however for me tonight, I got tagged, 3-5 times each by 5 hatchies before i moved to a glove and didn't get tagged afterwards.
With another 14 enclosures to clean I wasn't interested in having a bloody hands whilst trying to sip on my beverage!

Why'd you put her in a bag? Could you take me through the process of interaction step by step....

But as others said anyway.. let her settle in first for a few weeks and no handling after feeding.

well as i said she was fed the day before and she had done some buisness in her cage so i took everything out changed he water, i then put her in her bag and tied it up so i could change her newspaper, after i had done that i put everything back in and then i unwrapped her bag and then i tried to get her out of her bag, but then she "tagged" me and i held the bag close to her fav branch and she slitherd out and went onto her branch, i put the lid back on and left her alone and posted this thread

THANKYOU!!!!!! thankyou all, i will wait two weeks then feed her wait four days and try to grab her in the midsection while she is not looking and me wearing gardening gloves. this has put my mind at ease, thank you all so much.
i will post how it goes if you wish to find out how your advice went!!!!! thx again

Don't use gloves and don't "grab her when she's not looking" - if someone did that to you, you'd come out fighting if you got a fright. Just be confident and consistent with your bare hands, and you do not need to wait nearly 3 weeks to start handling - if it's a captive bred snake it will cope without the wait, just leave it for 3-4 days after feeding. You need to get over your fear - gloves and "grabbing" won't improve the relationship you have with your snake.

Jamie

i am not scared of snakes, ive handled them before and have een fine, my problem is innishally getting her out of the enclousure, should i use a hook if not what would you suggest??

I don't use a hook because I don't need to, once she knows I'm not food I can just pick her up.
I would use a hook if it was easer though. You could try opening the door and letting her come out when she is ready for the first few times.
Can you make a hide for her that you can pick up with her in it? Lift the hole thing out, take the lid off and she's out.
Can you post any pic's of the set up?

i am not scared of snakes, ive handled them before and have een fine, my problem is innishally getting her out of the enclousure, should i use a hook if not what would you suggest??

just point your finger at her when she tags you grab her behind the head and rip her out of cage throw her in bag then do what you need in cage. This will teach her not to bite. Or you can be gentle and take your time throw hook away get rid of stupid gloves open cage and allow your smell to enter her cage then she will realise your not food slowly put hand under her from the front so she sees it coming you may get tagged but eventually she will realise your not hurting her and will settle.

just point your finger at her when she tags you grab her behind the head and rip her out of cage throw her in bag then do what you need in cage. This will teach her not to bite. Or you can be gentle

:shock: To the OP, id go with the gentle approach.......i dont think ripping, throwing or pointing your finger at her will be of much benefit.

if you are too scared to handle it, just think why not handle it now rather a 5 or so years down the track after she has some real teeth?

open he enclosure door , wait till it ventures out . the support its weight and do the transfer to your hand then . its a year old spotted , your not going to have any scars from it if it decides to give u a munch .

i have treied that before but she just went out and dident want anything to do with me i couldent even get my hand close too her so i had to use a stick to get her back in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back