Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gunna sture this up a bit, :p
for all of you that say you can't make a profit from breeding bearded dragons,
two words "Challenge Accepted".
I say you can make a profit if you do it cheap,
E.g. outdoor enclosure, grow crickets and vegetables myself, other than that theres
little or no electricity needed except for incubation and hatchlings.
so I say bring it on haters and prove me wrong. :evil:

Cool... Now so us your business module.

Initial outlay
Cost of stock
cost of materials
Lost projections
Cost of labour (are you not billing for your time you put in to the business or are you working for free)
Projected sales vs projected market value

Off and running again. Glad I've got nothing better to do for the rest of the day

Big words there dude,
beardies are 89.99 or 2 for 79.99 each at my pet shop.
the people that bred them, 1 female had 41 young in 1 year.
say I sell young for $50.00 each 41*50=$2050.
so I got $2050 to play with in one year for food electricity etc. and anything left over to slowly pay of non-reacouring expenses (if thats the right term). e.g. enclosure,incubator. and these last for many years.

beardies are a native here and I find them all the time in the paddock. so no heating needed for adults outside.

now beardies can have about 1 male to 3 or 4 females easily.

so 4 * 40 (number of eggs layed) =160 babies total (take a few to account for fatalities etc so 150 babies. 150*50=$9550 with that much money I think I would make a profit.

Now... for those that are willing tell me this... how you didnt make a profit. and again BRING IT ON HATERS

lol you are assuming that you will sell every baby every year. That's your downfall

i made a small profit on hatchy beardies this year ( just on the hatchies, enclosure, food, power etc) , but all of it and more was invested back into the hobby, more enclosures,lol . i think i'm pretty much set up how i want to be now, but i'm sure that will change soon enough, as i really want a small monitor now, and there are hatchy GTP's advertised for $700 so i might need to get another of those

I still say its possible if you cut back on costs. grow vegetables, there like $2.00 for a pack of seeds which has over 100 seeds in it. breed crickets feed them scraps then theres no cost after starting the colony. water is free if you have a tank. keep them outside= no cost. If you even a greeny and have solar panels= free electricity. you start of with a big bill but after a few years thats gone and its ALL PROFIT. let me know if I missed something

need less to say im gunna give it a go

Exactly. Try selling even one clutch of 'normal' beardies. Market is saturated right now, and more people are breeding all the time. Pet shop prices ae completely meaningless...I can sell red cherry shrimp for $5 each through a shop front, but in reality I'll sell maybe 5 a week- out back there 50 gajillion that I cant get 25c for.

so answer me this. IF I sell the babies do you believe I would make a profit?

Sure man you'll make a monster profit. Do what you want, nobody here will stop you. Just don't forget the little guys when you're a millionaire

I still say its possible if you cut back on costs. grow vegetables, there like $2.00 for a pack of seeds which has over 100 seeds in it. How long does it take from planting to harvest? How many do you need to sustain feeding them these plants consistently? In between planting to harvest to dragons stomach what will you be feeding them? What's the cost of that? breed crickets feed them scraps then theres no cost after starting the colony How big of a colony do you need? How long till it gets to a size where it could sustain the dragons? What's the running cost of sustaining a colony of crickets? In the meantime of waiting for a self sustaining colony of crickets, what's the cost of breeding the dragons?. water is free if you have a tank Do you?. keep them outside= no cost Free range dragons?. If you even a greeny and have solar panels= free electricity Do you? What's the cost of setting up solar? Are you going to factor partial cost of the solar as running cost for your dragons, what would the cost be?. you start of with a big bill Run the numbers and give us a cost in $$$ but after a few years That's a few years of running cost as well thats gone and its ALL PROFIT again run the numbers. let me know if I missed something yeah, a business module.

Great mate, give it ago but run the numbers and let us know if it's ALL PROFIT.

You've also not given your labour cost as in your time...

You may be able to make a small (tiny)profit, for the hundreds and hundreds of man hours you put in. So if you call working for 1c an hour a profit then so be it. This threat is about making money so lets get serious. It'll probably be more profitable having a few pets that you enjoy and going and getting a job at maccas. Then working a business plan and doing your research that allows you to get into the reptile industry at another date and time

Reptiles don't make you money and if your lucky to make money of them eventually you will put it back in eventually.

Cheers Brenton

It's pretty easy to turn a profit off reptiles, lots of people do. Time and experience is the key but you have to start somewhere and beardies are a great start. Do plenty of research before u dig in too deep!

you all keep asking about what my time is worth, personally its a hobby and a work for free.
im still at school so i don't need to worry about making a living out of it.

Although new to this site I have been an animal lover all my 52 years, reptiles for 11 years & many other pets since a youngster. I have never bred any for profit or to give away as I always worry that they might end up with a owner rather than a animal lover. I can see reptiles going the same way as dogs & cats with many being dumped mistreated sold onto clowns who have no idea on their husbandry requirements. They just think they themselves are being cool or sometimes it may be just greed. My thoughts. Bruce

Spot on Bruce...even worse for us, because unlike the aquarium scene, people can't just flush their 'too hard' animals down the toilet, and unlike the dog & cat industry (which is bad enough already) we have to rely on DERM to govern, and I've stepped in things that were more pro-active than them.

I still say its possible if you cut back on costs. grow vegetables, there like $2.00 for a pack of seeds which has over 100 seeds in it. breed crickets feed them scraps then theres no cost after starting the colony. water is free if you have a tank. keep them outside= no cost. If you even a greeny and have solar panels= free electricity. you start of with a big bill but after a few years thats gone and its ALL PROFIT. let me know if I missed something

good for u , give it a go and besure to post how it all go`s .
infact make a thread up with info and pics and when your starting this venture .

you all keep asking about what my time is worth, personally its a hobby and a work for free.
im still at school so i don't need to worry about making a living out of it.

OK now I understand...
You breeding your bearded dragons = a $300 profit for you
You breeding your bearded dragons = a 1-2k loss for your parents

Your absolutely correct then all profit for you

What is the most expensive Dragon?
One that you cannot afford.

you don't understand unlike most teenagers (when I say most I mean the ones you all think of) I don't rely on my parents for money. the most my parents have to do with MY hobby is sitting in the car while I get food etc, and to prove you all wrong this february I will keep every receipt and show you all how cheap it is to keep dragons.

Not all teenagers are stupid, rule breaking, crack heads as you all seem to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back