Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd pre-buy a pr if I had the money , good cause and Gavin's not out to rip anyone off ( I don't even use or like ReptileOne) lol

If he can get licence to capture wild stock to breed and sell can anyone get same licence or is he special somehow? If anyone can get same licence those people knocking him and his fees should get own licence and try to do it themselves that way he wouldnt have to put his nuts on the line and can just buy a pair of you.

You should apply for a licence, let us know how you go.

agreed red-ink - would be a fun trip to a part of the part of the country most people would never see if nothing else.....

I think I'd be too intimidated. I'd feel like a little kid who got a python for Christmas compared to someone with that much knowledge

Good luck buying one, however it will be very very very hard to find one in captivity. The are a fantastic looking python & something different. I would think it will be at least another 5-10 years before they will be somewhat, easily available.

You should apply for a licence, let us know how you go.

i wasnt knocking him for getting licence i was meerly pointing out that obviously he has funds and knowledge and has certain pulling power.. i have non of these however if i had funds and knowledge and was able to get harvesting licence i would certainly do it for the good of the hobby and as i have said on many other threads im in it for the love so i would probably give young away. Even if payment was made it would be on a fund trip only basis any excess proceeds would be donated to a worthy charitie like wires.. Before you dis someone check who they are and what values they have. I might already be on waiting list for all you know.

I'm really quite upset with some of the comments that I've seen on this post ...... obviously some of you have no idea of Dr Gavin Bedford's credentials or what an almighty effort his journey has been to bring the Oenpelli Pythons into captivity. He has worked tirelessly for the last 10 years to finally be able to bring this about. There would only be a very small handful of people who could have achieved this and Gavin has finally succeeded.

I'll post the last couple of paragraphs from his article in the January issue of Scales & Tails Australia which might help to shed some light on his incredible, and painstaking journey to bring this to fruition.

Quote from Gavin's article 'In search of Silver Ghosts' in the January Issue of Scales & Tails Australia:
I have done many things in my life chasing reptiles but can honestly say this is without doubt the highlight. This experience is so remote the only thing I can liken it to is being in the Antarctic. We are dropped in by helicopter and that is the ONLY way in and out. This is Aboriginal country, so you can’t even be there without a permit and a guide. And this is perhaps the one and only time that permits will be issued for this animal, the mighty Oenpelli Python, so once they are in captivity there will be no reason to go looking for them. I am therefore searching for anyone who thinks, like me, that this is an awesome once in a lifetime experience to come with me and hunt the “silver ghosts”. Many things in life we forget with time, but I can guarantee you will remember this experience for as long as you live. If you are interested please email me on [email protected] and I will let you know when we plan to go and all the costs involved. Or speak with Kakadu Culture Camp or check out www.albinopython.com.au
Over the next few years I aim to bring this magnificent animal into captivity with the blessing of the Traditional Owners, the Northern Land Council and Parks and Wildlife NT, to breed in a cooperative with the Traditional Owners. This project has taken me 10 years and cost me more hair than I care to think about to get to this stage, and I really need YOU to be part of this slice of Australian herpetological history to see it become reality.
Cheers and hope to see you there!

Hopefully some of you making comments on a subject that you know nothing about will think twice before becoming 'armchair experts' again.
Cheers
Joy
P.S. On a personal note: Gavin thank you for your efforts. They are very much appreciated. What an exciting time this is.

Last edited:
But is paying 15 k in advance for something that you might never see rational. I understand donations, furthering the hobby, and the large intrest in a new native snake in captivity. I honestly cannot understand people 'PAYING' in advance for a pair, 15 THOUSAND DOLLARS.....Damn i wish i could be out there helping out. Im not proffessional herper or whatever. Im focusing on the money factor. Why dont we call them donations instead? JMO...to each their own. I am talking about the financial aspect, not his character....

Last edited:
Haha..the all-knowing Editor speaks. We're all happy to see the python in captivity, Joy, all that's being questioned is the strategy of selling an animal pre-birth, that hasn't been raised with any degree of success out of the NT, nd with no idea on licencing issues, which will almost certinly arise..rmember the rubbish that went on when the RSP was released?

Calling everyone involved in a debate an 'armchair expert' doesn't help anyone, or help prove your point.

Hopefully some of you making comments on a subject that you know nothing about will think twice before becoming 'armchair experts' again.
Cheers
Joy
P.S. On a personal note: Gavin thank you for your efforts. They are very much appreciated. What an exciting time this is.
[/QUOTE]
could not have put it better Joy

I reckon a better strategy on his part would be to pre sell them but ask for a few hundred deposit with the rest of the thousands to be payed when you pick up your animals. I reckon he would get way more people on board if he did that. Seriously wish I had the $4k to go out snake searching tho. That would be an awesome experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha..the all-knowing Editor speaks. We're all happy to see the python in captivity, Joy, all that's being questioned is the strategy of selling an animal pre-birth, that hasn't been raised with any degree of success out of the NT, nd with no idea on licencing issues, which will almost certinly arise..rmember the rubbish that went on when the RSP was released?

Calling everyone involved in a debate an 'armchair expert' doesn't help anyone, or help prove your point.

Please re-read my comments ....... not everyone was called an 'armchair expert' and not everyone's comments upset me, only a certain couple.
I welcome a good debate as much as the next person but I'm careful to speak only on subjects that I know something about and not open my mouth and make myself look a fool.
Cheers
Joy

Hello all. I am glad to see a robust and heartfelt debate over this issue. Over the coming months I will try to get the whole saga of obtaining permits and speaking with elders and Government agencies and the many and varied views that people have had and still have over this project. Let me say I am proud to bring this animal into the hobby when it happens. But as so often happens when people are passionate about something they fore-go other things they could be doing. In this instance I have foregone a nice Government job (or research) on whatever salary they would pay me to spend my time, energy and passion trying to help our hobby. I understand that the cynical view is that I am doing it to feather my nest or some other greed driven motive. Again I can only say that all the information about this project is on my web site and I have been very open and transparent about what I am trying to do since I actually got the permit to collect some pairs of this animal to breed. I have had a few people offer to partner with me financially on this project, but I cannot in all conscience do that, with the only way I can fund doing this project is to pre sell some animals as was done with GTP's, RSP's, Albino Carpets and many other animals over the past few years. I am offering them at a price that is low to compensate for the loss of income in interest from the pre-purchase over time (however many years it takes) and can only express my gratitude to anyone who does support this project. Please can I ask all those who are in this debate to read my web site carefully, including the terms and conditions because I do not want to rip off anyone and never have, but as I say I don't have the capacity to pull this entire project off without your help. I have tried to answer every email regarding the tours to Arnhemland which will start some time in May but I'm still waiting for my Aboriginal partners to confirm dates then I will let you all know. Thanks and hope this helps. Gavin Bedford (Albino Python - Australia's Amazing Albino Pythons and Snakes | Albino Snakes Pythons Gavin Bedford Darwin Australia)

It always astounds me how so many inexperienced people think they have a better way of doing things. As with the RSP, the first step - the obtaining of permits - is a huge undertaking, with massive amounts of time devoted to developing strategies which are palatable to bureaucrats and other stakeholders - and with no guarantee of any return until the yes comes through. Clearly, the Oenpelli is even harder to locate than Roughies were, and the investment in time will be that much greater, still without any guarantee of success EVER, let alone in the short term. And then you have all the husbandry issues to work out - these pythons haven't been known for their quick adaptability into captivity.

If it does come to fruition - and who wouldn't wish Gavin all the success he deserves - it will because he will have lived and breathed this project 24/7 for years. Wrightpython, I venture to say you are very young and very idealistic... Gavin, on the other hand, has experience and wisdom way beyond yours, and is also doing this because he has passion. Unlike you however, he realises that he can't live on air alone.

I can only wish Gavin all the luck in the world, it looks like a carefully developed strategy.

Jamie.

I wonder if May is the ideal time to look for them or if that's just when he can get everything organised
for the search? I would have thought it would be cooler then and they wouldn't be as active, although
it be pretty hard going in the build up I guess.

I wonder if May is the ideal time to look for them or if that's just when he can get everything organised
for the search? I would have thought it would be cooler then and they wouldn't be as active, although
it be pretty hard going in the build up I guess.

Perhaps, but they may possibly be seen alot more sunning themselves on rocks and in a more laxed state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back