yellow face whip snake bites ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calebs92

Reaction score
springfield lakes ,ipswich ,qld ,australia
how bad are they, like im want to keep one an just wondering what the affects of a bite are and how bad ? like ive seen one for sale an its about 45 cm , how much damage or what would happen if it had bit me ?

just interestd :)
thanks

Don't get bitten, simple. Treat any small elapid like it can kill you, which it has the POSSIBILITY to.

Burning sensation and itchiness are what i recall from my bite on the finger. Gone an hour later. That was from a juvenile though.

You cannot determine what effect an elapids venom will have on you...
It may make you sick, or it may kill you, no one can really give you an accurate prediction..

I certainly would not recommend any small, fast moving elapid as a first ven.
Get a larger elapid, one that you can control better.
Venom strength should not be first priority when deciding, just don't get bitten...

You cannot determine what effect an elapids venom will have on you...
It may make you sick, or it may kill you, no one can really give you an accurate prediction..

I certainly would not recommend any small, fast moving elapid as a first ven.
Get a larger elapid, one that you can control better.
Venom strength should not be first priority when deciding, just don't get bitten...

Im sure a lot of serious keepers that have kept or are keeping smaller elapids would near recommend them as a first elapid, id recommend a lot of small elapids marshies, yellow faced whips, de vis etc with a little time and effort these snakes can be kept with ease.

im with boidae. treat any elapid with respect as the consequence could be fatal or risky.

I still reckon some aspects would be pretty tricky, especially for a beginner.
I'm sure force-feeding, medicating, removing retained skin or even pinning (if he ever needed to do any of these)
would be a bit tricker with smaller elapids.
But yes, if he's willing to put in the effort I'm sure they can make nice captives.

They're not really suited to captivity, IMO. Rdiculously active, like a cts on crack.

I agree that they don't make the best captives but moreso due to their natural diet than anything else. I loved keeping them though, i set them up similar to skinks, with rocks, logs, grass tussocks etc and a radiant heat source. Like skinks they are fascinating to watch and make great display animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back