Anyone else suffer from low blood sugar?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamind2010

Reaction score
I suffer from unstable blood sugar. I've been monitoring my sugar intake for a while now, but recently I've been cutting out most carbs and sticking to mostly vegies and oats, and I had no idea it ever got this bad.

At first I felt a bit uneasy, sort of stressed out, then I started getting paranoid, felt like everyone was talking about me behind my back, etc, started freaking out, wanting reassurance, etc, and almost felt like I was going to go psychotic. Then I got nausea, and started feeling like I was going to black out, everything went grey, pictures disappeared off the walls, I couldn't see them or the windows. At that stage I decided to gorge on about 60 grams of chocolate because I assumed (rightly so) that my blood sugar was low. Spoke to a friend who is a diabetic and she said that I could have easily died today.

And so the story goes - I've made an appointment with the doctor, this isn't the sort of thing that should be happening to a 32 year old man. Yes, I've been under some stress, mostly minor, but with someone who has PTSD even minor stress can be very difficult at times, but I can't see how that could cause dangerously low blood sugar levels. I could have died without even knowing what was wrong, it was only thinking about my grandmother who suffers these turns from time to time that I suddenly thought maybe my sugar is too low. I was right, the chocolate nipped it in the bud.

I hate to think of what would have happened had I not thought about it. I was told shock, coma, perhaps even death, could have occurred. I'm not too thrilled about that.

Does anyone else here suffer from these conditions? I know a couple of diabetics, but they don't seem to have too much trouble, apart from needing insulin all the time. This thing really scared the hell out of me. I think that's maybe why my behaviour hasn't been spectacular in the past couple of months. I've been cutting out too many carbs and turning myself into someone who freaks out all the time.

Time to go back to the diet I was on previously. I don't care if the 5kg I lost suddenly comes back, I'm sick to death of these mood swings - and now blackouts. So it's no joke anymore. Whatever diet it is I'm doing it's wrong. Period.

UPDATE: Still in an extremely crappy mood. Like I want to knock someone's head off. Looks like I need to eat more chocolate, so I'll finish the rest (about 140g) of the block. See what this low-carb diet does to you...back to square one before you know it...sometimes I don't know why I even bother with this diet crap. It obviously doesn't work. I try different things, to no avail. Spoke to a friend who said we all need carbs, but just need the right ones, well, I've been eating the right ones - the ones with a GI below 50 and vegies. Maybe I'm one of those "skinny-fat" type people who need to eat lots of carbs and like 250g of protein a day. I get enough in my diet, so I don't know what extra protein I need. I thought 90g was enough for someone of my size.

Last edited:
Hi Ya benjamind

What prompted you to take the carbs out of your diet in the first place, was it just weight loss?

I have taken all wheat out of my diet because l was struggling with my food intolerance (bloated stomach, foggy head and weight gain) and it has had a wonderful result in that like you I have lost 5 kilos. However you do have to have some carbs. So why dont you do what I have done and use rice cakes, rice/corn pasta (you can buy it in the health food isle) and sanatarium rice cakes and brown rice.

I must admit when I first took the whet out of my diet I felt very wierd. I had a day where I was walking around in circles trying to resis the urge to eat spoonfuls of sugar.....so I get the low blood sugar thing....but I was nowhere near as bad as you were. BUT maybe that was because I am still having some carbs in the form of rice.

It does sound like a really dramatic reaction...maybe you do have something going on with your sugar...and if you do you need to address your diet...and weight...or you will end up diabetic.....It could also be related to food intolerance as blood sugr levels can be a side effect of a body under stress......and if you have released fat from your body dont forget toxins can also be stored in fat...especially if your body is reacting to your diet.

Hopr this helps and you will think about your diet ina bit of a different way......in a more balanced way...if that makes sense.

kind regards

Elizabeth

I needed to cut down the weight, I was told I was around 10kg over for my size/build/height, I'm about 5'11" just under 6' and built pretty solidly (I could also be "skinny-fat" according to some guys at the gym, but they then tell me my massive legs tell a different story, so maybe I'm just "fat-fat"....), I was around 104kg, so I'm now down to about 99kg give or take 2kg depending on when I weigh myself.

It's such a shame that while I was suffering from these terrible mood swings that I burned a few bridges. Sometimes I make a real fruitloop out of myself. Unfortunately what I've done over the past couple of months I'm not going to forgive myself for.

Last edited:
Ben, keep your head up mate. Im 22 and got arthritis really bad. On pain killers that are given to cancer patients. We all go through these things. Your stronger than it, and you wont let it defeat you. Think of it like that :)

Feel much better now. I cooked and ate about 100g of quinoa, that's 1/5th of a 500g bag, with a dash of butter/italian herbs and a bit of chicken stock broth.
That, on top of 200g of chocolate. I must have been starved for carbs...but I'm in better spirits now.

I'm going to just cut out wheat instead of cutting out most carbs. I think that is where I went wrong. Damn, wish I could turn back 2 months...oh well :oops:

Ben, keep your head up mate. Im 22 and got arthritis really bad. On pain killers that are given to cancer patients. We all go through these things. Your stronger than it, and you wont let it defeat you. Think of it like that :)

Must be terrible pain you are in - the only thing I would be afraid of would be getting addicted to opiates if I was on pain killers. I hear getting off pain killers once the pain has gone can be difficult. I usually avoid opiates if at all possible, it's not that they're that bad, but the government and their war on drugs has made me very scared of any strong potentially habit-forming substances - particularly barbiturates which I admit I used to take and still do from time to time (eg. Nembutal, phenobarb, Amytal, etc) for my nerves. Benzos don't do anything when I'm in full blown freakout mode, but barbiturates certainly will, as will alcohol to a lesser extent - which is why I generally don't drink at all, even at social events as I can end up poo-faced. The scenario goes like this: I go to a party, or a wedding, etc, I feel so tense and nervous. I need something to calm these nerves, so I have one drink. It doesn't do quite enough, so I have another 2 drinks, and end up with too much. I tend to overcorrect, which is one reason I avoid strong meds. With barbiturates, overcorrecting can in fact lead to a fatal O/D - but I guess that is also true with opiates - especially if CNS depressants are taken with alcohol - big no no, and I wouldn't even entertain the thought.

Last edited:
Buy a blood testing kit if you don't already have one, I think you can get them from chemists. I got mine when I was diagnosed with type 1 so I'm not sure. I go low sometimes so I know how it can feel but that sounds really scary mate. Good luck

Ben, yea Oxycontin is an opiate. Unfortunetly i got no choice. It isnt an illness where the pain is going go away. I am actually looking at all my options right now because i want to stop taking it. My choices are very limited sadly..

By the way, in case anyone was getting concerned regarding my mentioning of barbiturates I took, I will update the information as I feel this is important. I no longer take Nembutal or Amytal, as they were phased out a long time ago - I indeed had a bottle of Nembutal but it only had about 23 capsules left out of the 100 it had when my mother used it back in the 1980s, these drugs remain potent for decades, one bottle of Neur-Amyl 30mg tablets which ran out in 2008.

As I understand it, these potent drugs were often deliberately abused or overdosed by suicidal people with anxiety disorders. To the average person that is dangerous, so that's why doctors phased them out, they are terrible for the liver if taken regularly and you tend to age quickly if you get into the habit of taking them all the time - no different to alcohol really. If anyone has these, best to respect them and rarely, if ever, use them. Take too many and you could end up on the other side of the grave, literally. No joke about it.

So I listed them as an information reference point only. I have almost run out of phenobarb too, about 12 tablets left, so enough for 3 more panic attack episodes and I'll have to switch to the modern (and IMHO much weaker) tranquilisers, the phenobarb is no longer available, and I believe it was replaced by valium which isn't as good at stopping the panic attacks I get, but does a better job than a placebo. I use these very sparingly, and only when necessary. Other times I just have a drink or chill out. I had been suffering panic attacks about 8 times a year for the past few years, but recently they've been getting more frequent and more intense, particular since last July - between July last year and the end of last year I had at least 30 and many of them were terrifying, so far this year I've only had about 2 and they weren't that bad, so things are looking better.

Benzo's and barbiturates are equally poor options for panic attacks. There are better pharmacological options to use in combination with cognitive behavioural therapy from a good mental health practitioner (I would stress the word good in that previous sentence as an poor therapist can make things worse rather than better.) It can take time to find a regimen that works.

Ben, yea Oxycontin is an opiate. Unfortunetly i got no choice. It isnt an illness where the pain is going go away. I am actually looking at all my options right now because i want to stop taking it. My choices are very limited sadly..

Not meaning to minimise your pain but arthritis and food intolerance go together. I ate 4 pringles (sour cream and onion) at least I think thats whathas done it because Ive never reacted to rice cakes or spinach like this and they are the only other two different things I have eaten in the last 24/48/72 hours. My stomach is up like I am six months pregnant and my right knee is killing me (I have arthritis in both but the right one is worse....totally genetic Dad has just had a double knee replacement and I have no doubt I will eventually have to have one).

The thing that kills me is I thought Id be ok but the reaction I am having.....let me tell you I will NEVER eat Pringles again....in fact the way I feel at the moment I might never eat again.

So currently I am drinking heaps of water and waiting for the symptoms to pass...which usually takes 24/48 hours.......there isnt anything else I can do....apart from distracting myself on APS. At least Im not at work when I am working like this it is really difficult and I get that way I dont want to take anything because sometimes the chemicals in painkillers make things worse.

One of the biggest culprits for food intolerance connected with arthritis is salycilate intolerance (might be worth a google to have a read)

I bet you are sick of people making suggestions....but I thought I might mention it...just in case the delightful doctors havent thought of it as a way of trying to settle things down.

Take care........

Elizabeth

Not meaning to minimise your pain but arthritis and food intolerance go together. I ate 4 pringles (sour cream and onion) at least I think thats whathas done it because Ive never reacted to rice cakes or spinach like this and they are the only other two different things I have eaten in the last 24/48/72 hours. My stomach is up like I am six months pregnant and my right knee is killing me (I have arthritis in both but the right one is worse....totally genetic Dad has just had a double knee replacement and I have no doubt I will eventually have to have one).

The thing that kills me is I thought Id be ok but the reaction I am having.....let me tell you I will NEVER eat Pringles again....in fact the way I feel at the moment I might never eat again.

So currently I am drinking heaps of water and waiting for the symptoms to pass...which usually takes 24/48 hours.......there isnt anything else I can do....apart from distracting myself on APS. At least Im not at work when I am working like this it is really difficult and I get that way I dont want to take anything because sometimes the chemicals in painkillers make things worse.

One of the biggest culprits for food intolerance connected with arthritis is salycilate intolerance (might be worth a google to have a read)

I bet you are sick of people making suggestions....but I thought I might mention it...just in case the delightful doctors havent thought of it as a way of trying to settle things down.

Take care........

Elizabeth

Oh No Fantazmic, very sorry to hear. My old man has it, double hip replacement , you guessed it ..Genetic !! I know what you are saying about the food, but unfortunetly i havent been monitoring my food at all( I know i should). My problem is that i tried everything, i even agreed with my doctor to not take anything and go to hospital for 3 weeks to see what happens. As soon as the oxycontin wore off, they tried everythinggg... I stayed in a wheel chair couldnt even stand up without it....

Oh No Fantazmic, very sorry to hear. My old man has it, double hip replacement , you guessed it ..Genetic !! I know what you are saying about the food, but unfortunetly i havent been monitoring my food at all( I know i should). My problem is that i tried everything, i even agreed with my doctor to not take anything and go to hospital for 3 weeks to see what happens. As soon as the oxycontin wore off, they tried everythinggg... I stayed in a wheel chair couldnt even stand up without it....

You poor thing...I am trying to send you good vibes as we speak.....

Haha thank you so much, very sweet of you :) Im a fighter ;)....Hows your situation? hope its not affecting you too much ?

Im feeling better tonight. Had a sore day today, the pain settled in my hip of all places and my right knee was so/so but I think whatever it was that I ate is leaving because the pain is getting less......it is just so annoying....Ill be ok just need to get back to eating cardboard and lettuce leaves and ill be just fine. Thanks for asking, how are you going......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back