My Spotted python isnt eating HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dilsandwitch

Reaction score
I have a almost 4 year old spotted python and shes not eating. Last year when it got cold she stopped eating from April to September and since September she has only taken and eaten maybe 4 or 5 times. I'm not really sure of the exact amount as i haven't been recording the dates she eats. My partner said I shouldn't worry because being an adult snake she doesn't need to eat as much cause shes stopped growing but i don't think hes right in that. She doesn't look skinny or anything and is still really active. Should i be getting worried or just keep offering her food and hope she gets hungry enough sooner or later to eat?

thanks in advance

How many times are you offering food? What are the temperatures in her enclosure? Once a month is fine as long as the item was suitably sized for a snake that age.

Offering food about every week and a half. Temp is fluctuates between 28-30 in the hottest part of the tank. Could it be because I couldn't get the weaner rats she normally eats cause the reptile place i normally go to was moving and had to get just adult mice from the petstore? There like half the size of the food she normally gets

My spotted was the same until I realised i had not turned the temps up for summer. Put the hot end to 32-33 degrees and within 48 hours she was eating. May be worth a try

How many times are you offering food? What are the temperatures in her enclosure? Once a month is fine as long as the item was suitably sized for a snake that age.

Agree wholeheartedly.
General feeding guide I work off is Hatchling fed every 3-5 days, Juvenile once a week, Yearling once every 2 weeks, Adult once a month. All feeds are decent size with girth of rat ⅓ wider than snake mid girth.
Hatchling Birth > 3 months old
Juvenile 3 months > 12 months
Yearling 1 year old > 2 years old
Adults 2 years +

If snake refusing food, offer food one month later than last feed.
Good luck

I'd say it's too cold. The warm temperature should be 30-33C. Try raising the temperature and see if she eats.

i will try turning up the temp a bit and see how it goes and will let you all know if it works. thanks for the replys :D

Too many people only seem to take notice of the temps in the hottest part of the tub/enclosure.The cooler side is just as important if not more so,if it gets too low pythons will stop feeding.

what temp should the cool end be?
my childrens isn't eating either and i think the temp is too low because he spend most of his time wedged up in the top of the enclosure.

my spotted python use to spend a lot of time wedged in the roof of her enclosure aswell. I turned up the tep from 30 to 35 and now she is quite happy sleeping in her hides never refused a feed but even when the temp was colder

Show me "any" snake in Oz that gets away with a hot end of 28c not even Greens get away with these temps continually and don't have feeding or RI associated problems in the end.
.......solar 17 (Baden)

make hot end around 35 and cool end around 27 that way middle is around 31 which is there optimum thermal gradient. Dont offer food for a month then get right size food that she eats. she can go months and months without food so dont worry on that bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back