Strength training thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaery

Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread for the discussion of strength training. It is for those interested in strength sports like powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifting. Also for those who train strength for another sport, for those who bodybuild and for those just interested in getting stronger!

Feel free to discuss diets, supplements, implements and post your training, competitions, video's etc.

Who here trains?

I train everyday but for my own fitness and for work requirements. I ride about 50km a day. swim 5 km every second day and workout every weekday. In saying that I don't really eat healthy.

Cheers Brenton

Nice work Brenton. I wish I was that fit haha. You would have to be pretty darn lean even without eating healthy :p

Myself I dabble in powerlifting. Third competition tomorrow morning which is why I am home on a Saturday night making APS threads :lol:

I lift schooners. Getting pretty good at it.
I use it as my carb intake to run my dogs twice a week.
Just started at a gym. Interested in some tips. Not changing the diet though.

I do powerlifting for 8 hrs a day at work as stonemason. never go to gym and as fit as a bull strong as an elephant built like a stick insect.

Nice work Brenton. I wish I was that fit haha. You would have to be pretty darn lean even without eating healthy :p

Myself I dabble in powerlifting. Third competition tomorrow morning which is why I am home on a Saturday night making APS threads :lol:

I'm about 80 kg now I was 65 about 18 months ago.

Cheers Brenton

I can bench press 30 scooners on a good night that's without any breaky juice
Oh and to the OP good luck tomozza.

Last edited:
I got given a whole bunch of weights, bench and an incline bench when a young fella left our community last year. I've started working out every 2nd day, haven't noticed any difference yet. Except i feel pretty dang good for about an hour after a work out.

Also run around 5km a day with my dog, but i've been doing that for a few years now. Only recently started using supps, i'm using syntha-6 which is meant to help recovery (if you get cramp, sore muscles or anything like that then it's definately worth a go) but not do too much for fitness or bulking.

Mid last year i decided to get myself crazy fit for the footy season. I don't think i'd ever been as fit as i was then, but because of that my work rate during footy games that i started injuring myself.

I think it all depends on your goals. Ask yourself what do you want to achieve and then set yourself a plan with definite goals along the way. Make sure its well planned and covers all the posts along the way.

Your diet should be directly connected to your goals...
Are you training to gain weight?
" " " lose weight?

The actual lifting of weights would make up about40 percent diet and rest wound make up the rest if trying to put on bulk it pays to be lazy

Stopped lifting 12 months ago.. gained 20kg of fat.
Just started CrossFit yesterday, puked my guts up - hope to be back into shape in between 3 and 6 months time

I stopped about 18 months ago due to a double hernia just started back a few months ago so far ok

mostly cardio (swim,bike,row,run, cross train, combination of any), weights every other day (or switch between muscle groups if its two in a row which i'm trying to avoid), total 5 days a week but down to 3-4 cz currently on summer break and overseas
really, really gotta make up my mind to either lose the flab first or gain muscle first because doing both at the same time just ain't helping (fyi i'm 1.75m and 68kgs for references)

the closest goal so far is city to surf this year, first try
another friend suggested tough mudder... yea, rite...

mostly cardio (swim,bike,row,run, cross train, combination of any), weights every other day (or switch between muscle groups if its two in a row which i'm trying to avoid), total 5 days a week but down to 3-4 cz currently on summer break and overseas
really, really gotta make up my mind to either lose the flab first or gain muscle first because doing both at the same time just ain't helping (fyi i'm 1.75m and 68kgs for references)

the closest goal so far is city to surf this year, first try
another friend suggested tough mudder... yea, rite...
My preference is gain muscle then cut fat, the extra muscle makes fat loss a whole lot easier.

One of my trainers is doing Tough Mudda in September. Her training looks insane! :)

What weights are you lifting and what weight class?

I once did a lot of weightlifting. I used to be much much stronger than I am now, but bulged a disc in my lower back and ended up having to take 3 years off.

I used to bench around 160kg+, squat over 220kg and pull almost 240kg off the floor - I could do all these for 3 reps, except the deadlift which I could only manage twice. I used to be able to do 140kg bent over rows for 6 reps easily.

That was in my early 20s, can't do that today, but I still have respectable strength, and could probably do more but won't for risk of back herniation.

I do this really for maintenance, but am looking at 100kg+ for the bench and 150kg+ for the squat/deadlift again, and I know I've done that a few times in the past year so I should be able to get that for 4 reps.

1 x 4 reps 92.5kg bench presses
1 x 4 reps 100kg squats
1 x 4 reps 110kg rows
1 x 4 reps 95kg leg curl (hamstrings)
1 x 4 reps 110kg deadlifts
1 x 4 reps 90kg pull downs

I don't do any cardio, to me it's unnecessary and practically useless for my fitness goals, I'm not into long cardio, I find that it causes more trouble than it's worth and it also screws up your muscle building capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back