Did anyone else hear the info on feeding snakes 97.3 this morning?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomreptiles

Reaction score
A vet called Allen on the better homes and gardens segment, aired on 97.3fm was asked what to feed snakes?
His reply...either live or defrosted is fine...........hmmmmm

Probably a poor choice of words. He surely meant freshly dispatched or defrosted.

As a vet, how could he state that 'the prey could become stressed and could inflict injuries to a snake', and yet believe this was 'fine'?

You tell me and we will both know, obviously he is reading something handed to him, this radio show airs in qld.
Just an FYI for those reading - feeding live is only a last resort, and only an option if the snake may cease living without substance.
Aps users offer plenty of tips and hjnts on old threads in feeding stubborn reptiles:)

Well this has some truth to it, as some snakes will only feed on live prey.

Normally as a result of being fed live in the first place, and never tried to be coaxed onto fresh killed or defrosted. Had a mate that always fed live, one day rattus bit his python and it wouldnt touch rats/mice after that. End result was would only feed on live rabbit/poultry and was a pain for him food wise

I don't see the problem with it. He did say that it stresses the prey item and makes it possible for the snake to be harmed during feeding essentially showing the advantages of dead food items. It isn't like the guy was a pro-live-feeding activist :lol:

Very little truth! Only the inexperienced and uneducated (Opps forgot the ********s) feed live, it is the last resort and very few animals need to continue being fed live once they start feeding.......

Thanks for the further education.
I don't agree with feeding live.
You basically agreed with me in the end with your last statement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i thought certain people on here have stated in previous threads that it was against the LAW.
Is it or is it not against LAW without valid reason.

i thought certain people on here have stated in previous threads that it was against the LAW.
Is it or is it not against LAW without valid reason.

Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

the funny thing is check out the last sentence, if it is a law then how is it not enforceable, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I'd be going with it's not illegal just frowned on by people, I'm not saying I feed live as I feed frozen or freshly killed but personally I can't see a problem with it accept for the fact of the risk of injury to my snakes that I'm not willing to take.

Last edited:
Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

the funny thing is check out the last sentence, if it is a law then how is it not enforceable, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I'd be going with it's not illegal just frowned on by people, I'm not saying I feed live as I feed frozen or freshly killed but personally I can't see a problem with it accept for the fact of the risk of injury to my snakes that I'm not willing to take.

It doesn't mention law, it says "Code of Practice".

It doesn't mention law, it says "Code of Practice".

Is feeding live prey legal?

The legality of feeding live mice to reptiles depends upon the relevant State/Territory legislation and relevant code of practice. In some States, the code recommends that reptiles should not be fed live food for their own protection and all vertebrate-eating reptiles must be encouraged to take dead food. In others it is recommended that: live vertebrates are not used as a food unless they are required absolutely as a food source by a species or individual animal; live rodents should not be left in a reptile enclosure overnight or for an extended period; and wild-caught rodents should not be used. However, these codes of practice are not enforceable by law and are therefore recommendations only

ok so is it legal or not?

yes it says that the different states give different recomendations for it but that it isnt a law as such... but yes if i had a snake i wouldnt live feed ... THAT prob has something to do with the fact i used to have a pet mouse though haha

yes it says that the different states give different recomendations for it but that it isnt a law as such... but yes if i had a snake i wouldnt live feed ... THAT prob has something to do with the fact i used to have a pet mouse though haha

thanks, I just realized I wasn't reading it correctly hence my first post stating if I'm reading correctly lol. I don't feed live either due to the risk of them harming my snakes..

I wonder how many people feed their green tree snakes live fish???

Although it is possible to wean them onto mice live fish are definitely more favoured by them

Marsh snakes used to only eat skinks and frogs
Dont know what they feed them now

But blanket statements that all snakes will eat frozen food are incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back