Monitor choice help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I've kept snakes for about 12 years now but I'm looking into getting a monitor of some sort, Is there any there any of the larger species that are generally quite or can be tame? Cheers in advance guys!

Last edited:
Gouldii and spenceri are meant to be ok for handling from my understanding. None of them are really "cuddly" though

I would say Spencers, I haven't herd of anyone getting bitten by one of them yet (I'm not saying it's never happened, but I personally have never herd of anyone getting bitten, just tail whipped).

Gouldi or spencers, like everyone said, but you'll just learn to start gazing at these guys in their enclosure, they are just so fascinating to watch.:)
If this is your first monitor you might wanna start with a gouldii, or something smaller like an accie...

As above Gouldi or Spenceri.
My little guy is still settling in, but he's always out exploring and digging :D

Your alright :) Yeah he's awesome though!

I agree on the spencers. They have a great reputation, apparently,( I've never owned one). Sandy's are also great fun!! Just be aware what your in for. Monitors are totally different from snakes. They're all generally quiet, as for tame, well,if you get something from a hatchie and spend your whole life with it, it may become tame/trained. If your willing to do that then I say get a lacie. Research and hands on is always the best place to start. Maybe someone in your area can introduce you to their monitors and let you have a play;););)

Last edited:
Cheers for info lads I'll keep researching maybe I should start with something a little smaller, any info on mertans or mangrove? time Wise I'm happy to handle constantly and put plenty of work into it, one other thing obviously the larger species need an avairy style enclosure is the Melbourne weather suitable for them? Thanks again

Cheers for info lads I'll keep researching maybe I should start with something a little smaller, any info on mertans or mangrove? time Wise I'm happy to handle constantly and put plenty of work into it, one other thing obviously the larger species need an avairy style enclosure is the Melbourne weather suitable for them? Thanks again

Mertens and Mangrove monitors are found in tropical areas of Australia, those certain species wouldn't do so well in melbourne (outside), but a lacey will...
Mertens are one of my favourite monitors, they are just awesome, look awesome, and are just AMAZING to watch...:) Hope this helps

Markos

Mertens are one of my favourite monitors, they are just awesome, look awesome, and are just AMAZING to watch...

Damn straight!! Nothing better ( in the reptile hobby) than watching a mertensi cruising in a tank , checking out everything , tongue flicking and digging in the substrate UNDERWATER!

spencers - hands down my favourite ever! they are so spunky and can be handled without too much of an issue, bit of a hiss and a slap but no teeth that ive seen so far.. unless you look like food.. then as like any other monitor all bets are off

Spencers are awesome. I've had my male for two years and my female a bit less, neither have ever looked like biting, just keep your hands well away during feeding time. Never get bored of watching them. Mine tail whip, hiss and puff out the throat if you get too close for their liking, but haven't been too bad on the rare occasion where I have had to move them.

Gawd seems like I have a lot to learn as well. Post beardie days I was looking at my next probable reptile....considering all comers so far....another beardie, monitors - although having read this thread I was surprised to read that they are flighty and feisty. I like the sand goannas but again, haven't researched them enough. Is there any particular good readings about keeping monitors etc??? I have always loved the lace monitor but I'm sure given my lack of experience with these the forumites will be quick to advise against such move.

I tried to open up the pics of whiplash but an error came up saying "invalid attachment specified, contact administration".

Cheers.

Yeah I can't see them either Shortstuff :(. It's so frustrating that Spencrs and Lacies are on advanced licence in NSW. They're such beautiful animals

Sorry about the pics. For some reason whenever I post pics now they turn out like this, but I follow the same procedure for posting pics as I always have. Maybe the mods can help on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back