Introducing kids to responsibility ;)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerCoastal

Reaction score
Ever since we got our first snake our kids have been asking if they can get their own native or invert pet. We felt that at that point they were all to young to understand the responsibility that these animals bring so we gave them the "when your older" line. Well this year our oldest is turning 10, and for the 3rd year in a row she asked for a GTF. So over the christmas holidays i set her a little homework, to research and write her own information and care sheet. The work and effort she put into it was astonishing, i did the research myself so that i knew what was right, and there were facts that she included i had to go and look up after i read her paper.

So we went shopping to see what the damage to my wallet would be, and although she was happy with the set up i could afford i was a little disappointed. So being the tight wad i am i said that we would come back on pay day when i had a bit more money so that i could get something better. When i got home i jumped on here to look at the for sale threads and found a wicked set up with waterfall for half the cost of the smaller one at the pet shop, and also came with 2 frogs which she has named Erky and Perky :lol:
Erky
DSC01649.jpg

Perky
DSC01642.jpg

Thanks Reptilerookie321 ;)

Oh thats such a g8 idea about the report! And such cute new additions!!!! Congrats 2 you all!!!

awesome stuff!!!! I would love some of these fellaz.

Oh thats such a g8 idea about the report! And such cute new additions!!!! Congrats 2 you all!!!

When she asked for them i thought that it would just end up being more work for me, so by making her do the research and finding out what they need she has a better understanding of the requirements that will be her responsibility to look after. Also you can tell how keen they are by the effort they put in, i got 5 pages front and back, including hand drawn distribution maps and enclosure layouts so how could i say no! ;)

That's so awesome :) Erky and Perky their such great names (me and the kiddies love that show)

Top idea, and gorgeous frogs :) Breanna is 7, we have cared for our pets as a team from the time she could toddle about with her own feed bucket lol she is a mini me and born to Mother things. she was given a guinea pig by a friend at xmas (and has since added 2 more) These she has looked after completely by herself I am so proud of her because these live inside in a tub and she cleans it out each day and gives them yard time every afternoon. She even tells her friends she cant play because she is looking after her pets lol Loved your idea about the research etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back