DIY enclosure costs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leamos

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've found a guy that advertises 'raw timber' 4ft x 4ft x 2ft with a vertical divider, make to 4x2x2 vertical enclosures, sliding glass doors and 2 lights wired up for only $300. Is this a reasonable price? I have been doing a guesstimate and don't think I could make one for that price. I know prices will vary alot depending on material types and quality but roughly how much would it cost you, experienced DIY enclosure builders, to bulid a similar setup?

Does 'raw timber' normally just mean pine? I know it mean it needs to be stained, painted or sealed

my last lot cost me $700 all up, that is everything down to the stain, varnish, screws and sandpaper. each enclosure is 4x2x2

View attachment 236293

$300 sounds pretty fair, will probly cost another 100-150 to seal, stain and varnish, depending on the quality of products you use

WOW! what did you make that out of that is sick mad-dog. Is that Ply or Finger jointed pine

I make 4x2x2 enclosure's out of 16mm melamine. All cut to size by my local timber place. After wood vents, glass, tracks etc etc they cost me around $100 or so to knock up.

Cameron

finger joined pine Kronick. that was 1/3rd of my cost just in the timber. i wanted it to look nice tho, it's the new loungeroom centerpeice

Thanks for the feedback guys, really nice work maddog, looks great

For two 4x2x2 fully wired enclosures at $300.... fair deal I reckon (and I build all my own enclosures). Yep raw "usually" means unsealed pine.

thats what I thought myself, and living in an apartment don't really have the space or tools to really make one. Think it'll be suitable for a pair of jungles Red-Ink?

Thanks for the feedback guys, really nice work maddog, looks great

thats what I thought myself, and living in an apartment don't really have the space or tools to really make one. Think it'll be suitable for a pair of jungles Red-Ink?

As in 1 each in it's own 4x2x2.... yep a jungle would be fine in that.

I wouldn't keep them housed in the same enclosure but 4x2x2 is fine for a jungle

yeh they'll each have their own 4x2x2, thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back