UV for monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julespython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have 2 sand monitor indoors and i was wondering if they need uv lighting or not because i read somewhere
that there are no know benifical differences from a monitor kept with uv to that of one kept without uv lighting.
is this true?

thanks

I've kept them with uv and without uv and I've never really noticed the difference just make sure your only feeding hole prey items plenty of bones and it should be ok this is just my experience. although mine o outside once adults and end up with uv in the end but as juvis i notice no difference

i know dragons definitely I've just never been told yes you must with monitors I've just been told maybe or if you like or there is nothing proving it. just take them out in the sun for half an hour a week

if your feeding them hole items then they can go without UV lighting , as ricky_91 said .

No, Monitors don't need UV light, as long as there eating whole small animals (Rats, Mice, Birds, etc.)

The reason for this is, monitors absorb vitamin D3 stored in the food items liver. D3 is the vitamin absorbed from the sun/UV light. Without vitamin D3, the reptile can't absorb calcium and will more then likely get Metabolic Bone Decease or other problems.

spot on :) as long as they can get d3 they don't need uv I've known of people feeding dusted meat to monitors thinking its ok. that dust stuff is nothing like the real thing

My indoor sandies don't have any UV and are growing and eating well. My dragons all get UV though, as they don't eat whole bodied items (rats, mice, birds) :)

i give some of my dragons hole mice but i will still always give them uv as they eat mostly a lot of greens. another mistake a lot of people make is giving young monitors things like heat matts and heat pads lizards are solar powered they need heat on there back.

No, Monitors don't need UV light, as long as there eating whole small animals (Rats, Mice, Birds, etc.)

The reason for this is, monitors absorb vitamin D3 stored in the food items liver. D3 is the vitamin absorbed from the sun/UV light. Without vitamin D3, the reptile can't absorb calcium and will more then likely get Metabolic Bone Decease or other problems.

RSP this might sound really dumb but if the mice or rats are bred in a shed and dont get uv how will the monitor get vitamin D3 or do the rats and mice already have that in their system naturally. Sorry if its a really nooby question just want to be sure.

Na mate I don't use UV for my ackie. Just whole foods and A hot spot of 50+ on the at the top of his retes stack.

RSP this might sound really dumb but if the mice or rats are bred in a shed and dont get uv how will the monitor get vitamin D3 or do the rats and mice already have that in their system naturally. Sorry if its a really nooby question just want to be sure.

You know, that is a really good question.

I was having this same convisation with a vet, but she wasn't sure either. Her thoughts about it were, "they must get vitamim D3 from the food they eat".

Hopefully someone on here knows the answer to this?

You know, that is a really good question.

I was having this same convisation with a vet, but she wasn't sure either. Her thoughts about it were, "they must get vitamim D3 from the food they eat".

Hopefully someone on here knows the answer to this?

Thats interesting i just did a search on vitamin D3 in rodents and it is commonly used as posoin to them... Obviously alotmore concentrated form i think but they only need minute amounts of it to kill them and if they were getting it from what they eat how would you be sure on the amount of D3 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back