advise needed!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

00fathead00

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey all we got two hatchys from the same clutch just wanting to know if we get them probed and one is male one is female are we able to breed them together or do we need them from different clutches and parents??? thanks in advance!

thats like breeding with you sister or brother.. haha people just dont do it

Its funny how most dont have a clue!!!!!
There is nothing wrong with breeding siblings in reps as well as mother to son, father to daughter etc.
This is how you have come to have the morphs etc that you all like!
You can go down this track many generations before any problems will show!

Last edited:
Breeding them together will be fine. As stimigex says- that how morphs such as albino are established.

we have two blonde spotteds :D so some say its ok some say they frown on it so im guessing its ok people just dont like it. so when i go to do it and sell them i dont say parents are brother and sister. got a while before we even think of breeding not that that is my intention for my snakes. i just wanted to know just incase one day i wanted to breed them :D their parents are gorgeous so i dare say they will be also. and hey they could both be boys so i would have to get another if i wanted to breed anyway. was just a question :D thanks for the advise guys

If you are not aiming for a particular morph it is ALWAYS better to breed unrelated individuals. When you breed two individuals that share the same genes you are more likely to get recessive traits. Some of these traits can be desirable, which is why some people say it ok to inbreed. But other traits are not desirable, causing mutations or deformities. I believe that even people that approve of inbreeding will not do it for more than 3 generations without adding some new genes. This tells you that it is not a good idea unless you have a good reason for doing it, like trying breed particular colour morphs.

Coming from a scientific background with knowledge about how genetics work, I would personally never inbreed any pet (whether it is a snake, lizard, dog or cat) if i could possibly help it. I'd rather go through the effort of selling one animal and buying another with new genes....

And you sort of gave yourself away in saying you'd just say they're not related lol...as people will check your threads before purchasing.

I know some lines of macs that are up to 8th generation and are showing no ill effects.the also look awesome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back