Ticks/mites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodges

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

so i purchased a few new snakes the other day, so all was going good until i found ticks, as I've never had snakes with ticks or mites ? i have no idea what to do etc. Im dealing with flighty elapids so any help would be great. Ps i won't name the breeder that i brought them from as there is no real point.

Thanking you.

See hodges, aren't you glad you came back :lol:

I've bought snakes with ticks before too......
They were large animals and easily handleable though, so I just used a dab of metho and a pair of tweezers to remove them then TOD'd the whole bank of enclosures.

Probably just invest in a couple of Top Of Decent from herpshop will be the best bet, always good to have a can on hand for new arrivals.

Thank you,

Currently have no TOD so ill have to wait, in the mean time I'm cleaning like crazy. Any other opinions are appreciated without using TOD (for now)

I've used mite spray for birds, find a reptile mite spray in the pet shop, compare it to the stuff in the bird isle, find one identicle and you've saved 50%. Just don't use one with a growth regulating hormone in it...They are more effective when they do have one, but they work by affecting the mites ability to shed its skin, this may have implications for reptiles. Use the stuff to spray out the enclosure, totally soak any furnishings for a day, if you can handle the snakes, spray a paper towel and wipe the animals down from neck to tail. That will give you a temporary restbite till the TOD gets here.

As I still can't get TOD I've found repti guard mite spray, now I've been told that some elapids have had bad reactions to this ? thoughts ?

Last edited:
Bit of an update.

I purchased MAC mite from my local pet shop as i didn't wan't to wait around for my TOD, followed all the appropriate procedures but mayhem struck the elapids had an massive reaction to the chemicals symptoms included stillness, twitching at times, chronic neurological problems at some stages i thought they had passed. So i tried many different ways to get the snakes back to better health, warm soapy baths, wipe the snakes down etc. I would of recorded the snakes actions for future reference to show those what the symptoms are.

I was out of idea's then i decided to force feed the two pinkie mice, as i know they would re-hydrate plus having something to digest, slowly but surely one of the snakes is near 90% better, one is still showing signs of problems.

Of course I'm not blaming MAC mite spray for this issue, I'm taking responsibility for that part. The spray did its job.

Never give up on the snakes, as they may look dead but intact they are still fighting.

what sort of elapids are they and inless they were kept outside i dont see how they could get ticks. Mites yes ticks no. Could they have been wild caught??
If it is only ticks head snake then using tweezers just remove them and put in jar of metho. if large snake get help in holding or removing. Ive heard some death adders have trouble with some chemicals but no clinical proof.

what sort of elapids are they and inless they were kept outside i dont see how they could get ticks. Mites yes ticks no. Could they have been wild caught??
If it is only ticks head snake then using tweezers just remove them and put in jar of metho. if large snake get help in holding or removing. Ive heard some death adders have trouble with some chemicals but no clinical proof.

They where mites, as i have had no experience with mites nor ticks i just assumed either. Anyhow i believe the snakes are on a good recovery, just want people to remember just because it states the spray is safe for reptiles it can cause reactions.

Hey hodges did you leave water or substrate in the enclosure when you sprayed, I used Repti-guard mite spray when I noticed my new bredli had mites but I wasn't keen on spraying it on my snake as it wasn't an aerosol spray so I sprayed some on A cloth and let the snake work it's way through the cloth. I had none on those symptoms but the spray didn't work either. So I used TOD and it worked perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back