Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My stimson (11 mths) was very jumpy when i first used my hands to pick him up so i went and used hook just to touch his back half first and then lift his body enough to slide him closer to his door and then put my hand under and support his whole body - he has never struck using this method and seems very calm when i do. I have handle a lot bigger snakes too but because this one was actually mine and so small i was more scared of hurting him so was nervous when starting to handle him at first too :) Good luck with getting to know yours

When I got my jungle python 3yrs ago now, she was very much the same I used the pillow case off my bed just over my hand because I figured she would be able too smell me on it an get use to my smell, and take her out of the tank with that and hold her until she settled down and stopped biting, because there tiny lil fangs won't go threw that an jus prepare ya self for it so you don't jump when she bites . And once she settled I would slowly get rid of the pillow case and she was always fine then, I did that until she stopped biting every time I picked her up and after about 3weeks she just stopped and she has never bitten anyone since, *and done the same thing with my male when I got him a year later an worked with him too.. They both come up an give me kisses an let my tickle them under the chin, an don't jump or get nerveous when some one new holds them.. :)

I did some looking around for a video for you ( no work, rain lol )
Hope it can help you
Taming / Calming A Nippy, Defensive, Baby Snake - YouTube

would you recomend this??

also, i am worried she has been quiet all weekend i have only seen her once, but she was going into her hide as soon as i sat down next to her, from what i have read this sounds like she is shedding. what are your opions.

and guys, lets be nice this time guys ;)

Last edited:
Can you not Quote only partial what i say it can be misleading

I quoted the part apart pointing fingers, ripping & throwing the snake as this was the part i disagreed with........i dont see how that is misleading.......the rest of your post is still there for people to read if they wish.

ok my 2 bobs worth on this topic, as a BRAND NEW SNAKE OWNER, i have been into exotic fish etc for too many years now and a friend of mine recently got me into snakes after seeing her with her, i have always loved them but family excepting daugthers hated them lol
so anyways to cut a long story short i had researched heavily into snakes of different sorts and had my heart set on a Albino Darwin Hatchy, was that or a BHP,
then came Ian's lovely awesome Het BHP at 6ft little larger than i was initially thinking, so read up on them again etc etc, emailed Ian with a few Q about the snake and he gave me the most open awesome feedback.
upon receiving the snake i gotta tell you i was alittle omg here we go, opened up the tub he was in packed well, opened bag he was in, allowed the snake to chill abit n then poke his head out, it was nice and quiet in the room, i reached in gently picked him up and away we went, he was fed 2 days after i got him, and since then i open the enclosure daily, lift up his hides, speak to him (hahaha not sure if this actually does anything) i wait until he seems to understand i am there, i reach in gently and lift him out, he is awesome, so my confidence is really good wiff him at the moment, so i can actually liken it to the tree thing :) move slowly, understand your animal, get to know it, and away u go
hope you have fun.....
I have a very healthy respect for these guys :)
but understand i may get bitten, but take all the steps to avoid it :)

ok my 2 bobs worth on this topic, as a BRAND NEW SNAKE OWNER, i have been into exotic fish etc for too many years now and a friend of mine recently got me into snakes after seeing her with her, i have always loved them but family excepting daugthers hated them lol
so anyways to cut a long story short i had researched heavily into snakes of different sorts and had my heart set on a Albino Darwin Hatchy, was that or a BHP,
then came Ian's lovely awesome Het BHP at 6ft little larger than i was initially thinking, so read up on them again etc etc, emailed Ian with a few Q about the snake and he gave me the most open awesome feedback.
upon receiving the snake i gotta tell you i was alittle omg here we go, opened up the tub he was in packed well, opened bag he was in, allowed the snake to chill abit n then poke his head out, it was nice and quiet in the room, i reached in gently picked him up and away we went, he was fed 2 days after i got him, and since then i open the enclosure daily, lift up his hides, speak to him (hahaha not sure if this actually does anything) i wait until he seems to understand i am there, i reach in gently and lift him out, he is awesome, so my confidence is really good wiff him at the moment, so i can actually liken it to the tree thing :) move slowly, understand your animal, get to know it, and away u go
hope you have fun.....
I have a very healthy respect for these guys :)
but understand i may get bitten, but take all the steps to avoid it :)

so you think just to go slow and be patient with your animal??

btw thanks :p

mate IMO yes, i lift his hide and allow him time to register its me, its a large enclosure 6x2x2, so i work on one end, do my thing he normally takes alook at what i am doing, after a few minutes, i go in slow and pick him up, never been an issue, couple of hisses once n a while but once he is out all sweet, and other times he will venture out himself, i juss grab him as he is trying to get down he normally comes out to me,
hope this helps
i get him out once a day if i can give him alittle walk, or at least oncevery couple of days :)
love him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back