What type of snake is this??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maziyarnej

Reaction score
I was walking along the South Western Australian coast (near Denmark WA) and I nearly stepped on the snake below. It quickly moved away from me but was very calm once there was a 1 metre distance apart. It eventually slid into the rock and i didn't want to aggravate it any more. It was about 50cm when slightly curved so im guessing any where from 70cm-100cm in full length.
Any idea what snake it is?

I put a link for photos because they are larger on flickr :)
Flickr: barryweedsmoker's Photostream

whip snake at first ? now thinking a dugite ?

Last edited:
I cannot give you a definitive answer without a clear close-up view of at least the head. However, I would suggest that it is very likely a young dugite (Pseudonaja affinis) that is a bit on the skinny side of things.

Blue

I cannot give you a definitive answer without a clear close-up view of at least the head. However, I would suggest that it is very likely a young dugite (Pseudonaja affinis) that is a bit on the skinny side of things.

Blue

i was thinking the same but yeah very slender clear pic would be better

I'm with Blue,
Definately a Pseudonaja species, but without a better photo, can't speciate any better than that.

yeah its a juvenile dugite i can see the nape and dorsal area

Only looking on my phone so bit hard to see. Master's Snake, Drysdalia mastersi maybe? Size probably too big for this species but that's always hard to estimate accurately.

It's a pseudonaja as mentioned.... No chance of being a drysdalia

I'm stoked about the way you've gone about this! Dugites are one of the most beautiful venomous snakes you'll see in Australia IMO. Despite the reputation the brown snakes have for being "aggressive", as you've now seen and experienced first hand, if left alone and given the space they require, they tend to just move off and do their own thing. You did well to give it space as a bite from that animal is potentially fatal. Thanks for sharing!

THANKS EVERYONE, I just joined this community and i'm already loving it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back