I need some advice for a newbie (me)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAlec

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

after a long time of umming and ahhing i finally got my first snake (stimson) and a nice enclosure, although he is in a click-clack container to begin with.

I bought it off a very reputable breeder found through this forum, i dunno if i am allowed to mention names but i will steer clear of it for the time being.

ANYWAY to my question. The stimmi was born Dec 12th 2011 and has a full eating/shedding/etc records which i will post up if needed. My first mistake was i couldnt wait to hold him so i got him out of his enclosure and have been doing so for the past couple of days and he seems to be enjoying it and not trying to get away.

Today i got home from work and found that he has completely shed in less than a day!!

My question is do i need to find him straight away or should i wait till his 'feeding' day to feed him?

I always feed mine straight after a shed because the shedding process can take alot out of them

ohh another question.... am i handling him too soon ? or he is ok?
i dunno wht the signs are that he is uncomfortable?

haha Im still pretty new to it as well, and I did the exact same thing... couldnt wait to handle him.
Although you are supposed to waitat least a few days - to a week for them to settle down and become familiar with their surroundings and feel 'safer'...

When did you get him mate? Personally I let mine settle in for 2-3 days.
Has he eaten yet?

View attachment 236483View attachment 236482View attachment 236481

ok this is the enclosure and the snake too

hard to see but the plastic container is about 25 cm long 15 cm deep there is kitty litter in there and a toilet roll for him to hide in
he has eaten VERY well over the past 2 weeks

jan 12
jan 15
jan 20
jan 24
jan 25
jan 27
jan 28

the last one was because i wanted tosee him eat and he smashed the pinkie

temps are
DAY CYCLE - 31 degrees
NIGHT CYCLE - 26 degrees

i got him on saturday to answer your question

Last edited:
When was he last fed? Won't hurt to feed straight after a shed. If your snake seems okay with the handling and is feeding okay I can't see any reason why to stop handling for short periods of time. If the snake refuses to eat or becomes jumpy/snappy stop handling for a while (say a week) to let settle.

Is it just me... the attachments won't load?

last day fed was the 28th and was a small pinkie no bigger than 4cm

same for me Gruni, but I haven't been able to see 'attachment's' for few months now and too lazy to suss it out lol

do you guys want me to upload on a photo hosting site>?

I always like looking at pics... if you want to host them go for it. I'd be curious why the ones above don't work, or do they work for others?

I always wait until my snakes do a crap before the next feed, a single pinky mouse can suffice a snakes needs for a month before it starts to effect the health of the rep.
if you feed to often before the snakes poo's it can back up and cause serious damage and can cause possible death. ive seen this.

just make sure it does crap regularly and there shouldnt be a problem. but also know....if you over feed it shortens its life expectancy.

Matt

awesome looking enclosure where did you buy that? and i think if your stimmie eats its always a great sign that she or he is happy and not stressed out. it cant hurt to try..

well i only got it on saturday i personally havent actually fed him yet.

He has actually pooed i scooped it out yesterday along with the fluffy urine thingy, dunno if that was from previous feeds or all of them combined?

I should have got some pinkies over the weekend i dont have any to try to feed him silly me!!!

bugeye where abouts are you? if your in SYD i can give you the details of the person and you can get in contact with them.

ahh ok im from north queensland... was hoping maybe it was an online dealer or something thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back