New Caledonian Crested Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
could be temp and dehydration but could also be something more sinister. def give it a mist a few times a day as it will help bring temp down and rehydrate. For all those who say just kill it. go outside and find your dog or cat and shoot it. if you look on the exotic list dogs and cats are there. I'd say that they do more damage to the native fauna than a crested gecko would do too. Not saying i agree with him keeping it but thats not the question asked.

could be temp and dehydration but could also be something more sinister. def give it a mist a few times a day as it will help bring temp down and rehydrate. For all those who say just kill it. go outside and find your dog or cat and shoot it. if you look on the exotic list dogs and cats are there. I'd say that they do more damage to the native fauna than a crested gecko would do too. Not saying i agree with him keeping it but thats not the question asked.

lol my dogs are legally allowed to be here that exotic thing should be the one with it's name on a bullet.

Yeah but one is legal and the other isn't so it does so much more damage, I will leave it up to you to decide which. ;)

Yeah but one is legal and the other isn't so it does so much more damage, I will leave it up to you to decide which. ;)

lol are we still going, what's to say the gecko hasn't got some disease and if spred wipes out every Australian Gecko? then what would you be saying?

lol are we still going, what's to say the gecko hasn't got some disease and if spred wipes out every Australian Gecko? then what would you be saying?

Fair enough, but how many native Australian, bird, mammal's and reptiles do wild and domesticated dogs and cats kill a year? And for how long have these cats and dogs been around doing so?

Those cats and dogs have done more damage then the little gecko.

I am posting this on behalf of friend. A friend of my friends who lives in Brisbane, has a New Caledonian Crested Gecko who is unwell at the moment. It is showing the following symptoms:
- lethargic
- will not eat
- not using his front legs.

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you
Take it to a friend of a friends friend that knows a good vet that can check it over.

Don't agree with keeping exotics in this country either but i wasn't born in Aus and used to breed R. ciliatus so.......check the temps (28-30C) and make sure it can cool down at night....you can help it to do that by giving the cage a mild misting. Make sure whoever it is who is keeping it is offering a meat and fruit babyfood (mango, papaya etc) with calcium/multivitamin powder mixed in as well as the usual offering of crickets/woodies etc. The baby food should be offered 3 times a week and i mine almost fed exclusively on this. They are prone calcium deficiencies.

If you fill a milk cap up with water you should be able to hold it up to the geckos mouth and it should start drinking if it is so inclined.

Hope this helps and tell your friends friend or whoever it is to stop supporting the blackmarket damnit!!!

it'struei used to own rabbits and my vet desexed them and my ferret. never told onme for owning them.

At the end of the day, your friends, brothers, sisters, mothers love pet will not get the attention and respect it deserves because anyone who respects and truley loves their pet will give it the immediate attention and help it needs via a vet.
Asking a forum who appreciate their native wildlife and frown upon any exotics in our country illegally is a desperate ask.
Tell your mates mate, you or whoever to go and live in New Caledonia and appreciate their goodies.
We do not need poachers, illegal reptiles or tools in this country.
There I said it.

I agree it needs to see a vet, but if the vet knows reptiles I doubt the vet will let them go without any questions...

I agree it needs to see a vet, but if the vet knows reptiles I doubt the vet will let them go without any questions...

Not true. Vets treat animals whether they are legal or not - it is not the animals fault it is being owned illegally and so why should it suffer? Vets have a duty of care to the animal - and will provide that car. If you dob on owners for bringing their animals to you net time the animal will just stay home and die instead of getting medical attention.

The same goes for ambulance drivers called to overdoses. Do you think they call the police to dob the people in for using heroin? No. Otherwise nobody would call the ambos anymore and people would die.

Not true. Vets treat animals whether they are legal or not - it is not the animals fault it is being owned illegally and so why should it suffer? Vets have a duty of care to the animal - and will provide that car. If you dob on owners for bringing their animals to you net time the animal will just stay home and die instead of getting medical attention.

The same goes for ambulance drivers called to overdoses. Do you think they call the police to dob the people in for using heroin? No. Otherwise nobody would call the ambos anymore and people would die.

Well said PhilK, I agree.

i reckon its getting to hot so tell ya mates mate to put it freezer for about 1 hr that should help nicly then to reheat it light big fire and throw it in the middle of said fire. This will protect our natives from the diseases it may have

i reckon its getting to hot so tell ya mates mate to put it freezer for about 1 hr that should help nicly then to reheat it light big fire and throw it in the middle of said fire. This will protect our natives from the diseases it may have

I hope you know that animal cruelty will fetch a bigger fine then keeping the actual exotic. As with neglect. If it is to be euthanised it needs to be done by a vet (or similar professional)

As most likely said, take him to a vet , vets unlike forums are there to look after animals, not come across as high and mighty , they wont worry about it not being native.. Maybe next time try an OS forum though, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back