DIY moonlight light

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leamos

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have this plan to make a battery powered moonlight/noturnal light for my jungle enclosure, to use for an hour or two on feeding nights. As its only a 2ft glass, mesh top setup i didn't want the expense of another reflector to run a moonlight bulb and I don't want it to effect the temp gradient. So I have come up with this, I'm going to use a small LED torch like this one Handheld Work LED Light Torch w/ Hanger Magnet | eBay and simply taping a piece of frosted dark blue or purple plastic over it. Do you think this will work?

what happens if your snake wants so get up high in the enclosure and tries to hang off it?

what happens if a corner of the tape lifts up and it gets stuck to your snake?

Also how do you turn it on and off without opening and closing the enclosure door, do you want to keep disturbing your snake on feed nights?

Easiest way is get a torch, put your colored filter on it, hold it in your hand and point it in the enclosure if you want to see

Sorry I should have explained my idea better, i am going to lay it flat on top of the mesh top outside the actual enclosure, shining it through the mesh top bit like a fluro on a fish tank if you get my drift. I did a similar thing years ago for a scorpion tank which is where i got this idea from, I put sheet of blue plastic (think it was a lever arch folder divider fom memory) between a fish tank fluro reflector and the tank lid. Turned a normal bright fluro into a really dimmed, diffused blue light. Sorta hoping for the same thing with this. I'll give it a crack and see how it goes, hell its only $8

i saw the same torch today for 3 bucks in kmart so if it works ill give it a try:D

Now you tell me hahaha, yeah i'll let you know how i get on

I finally got round to making and testing the light. I'm still trialling different colours but to give you an idea here's a pic of it at work. I've used arch lever folder dividers as filters, got a pack of 10 or 12 different colours to choose from (blue, red, purple, green etc). I had two layers of the blue plastic on it but had to remove one and had to take the photo on a 15 sec exposure just to get the camera to pick it up, so its really blurry.
I can assure you it looks alot better in person and with both filters on the light is alot bluer and more diffused. Think it looks quite natural and my jungle doesn't seem to mind, red makes the tank glow but doesn't look very nature and makes me apartment look like a brothel hahah. Still playing around with it a bit but I think its not too shabby

Moonlight.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back