komodos in aus by the gov??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Did anyone in Adelaide hear on fresh fm this morning at all something about the government is thinking of introducing preditors and grazing animals to australia to keep feral pests down and grass lands to reduce the risk of bush fire? some of the animals mentioned were komodo dragons, elephants and i think lions? i only heard it passing by the radio in the showroom so im not to sure how correct this info is but it seems a little nuts. just waiting for the next news up date. lol

I had to check to make sure it wasn't the first of April after reading that.

It will never happen, I seriously doubt it would even be a consideration.

IF, however it is, I'm putting my hand up to be first in line to kick the decision maker in the ****.

i agree, i thought i was trippen when i heard it. as if a perenti isnt a big enough monitor to have about the place.

We all know how intelligent the government is when it comes to biological control.

Did anyone in Adelaide hear on fresh fm this morning at all something about the government is thinking of introducing preditors and grazing animals to australia to keep feral pests down and grass lands to reduce the risk of bush fire? some of the animals mentioned were komodo dragons, elephants and i think lions? i only heard it passing by the radio in the showroom so im not to sure how correct this info is but it seems a little nuts. just waiting for the next news up date. lol

We all know how intelligent the government is when it comes to biological control.

Again - it is a Tasmanian academic who has suggested it not the Government. Kindly try and do a minimal bit of research before commencing wasting our time with your ranting.
It was only 12 months ago that the proposed importation of savannah cats was quashed.

KOOOOL ..... let the Komodos go run free and wild .
Plenty of big cats and panthers to munch on.
EXCELLANT IDEA .............

LOL ...

The cane toad is one disastrous example. There have been many introductions (mostly inverts) that have had a positive effect on the environment. Dung beetles and the Cactoblastis moth spring to mind. Obviously there would need to be extensive studies done before any proposed introductions.

Again - it is a Tasmanian academic who has suggested it not the Government. Kindly try and do a minimal bit of research before commencing wasting our time with your ranting.
It was only 12 months ago that the proposed importation of savannah cats was quashed.

pfft! it was a general question as i barely heard it on the radio as i walked past, hardly a rant. then i followed it up shortly with a link to the story. i just wanted to know if it was true and what people though of the whole thig?

sorry for wasting your precious time!!

Komodos wouldn't survive in Aus because of the cane toads. Besides that, if hunters are given land access they can wipe areas out of large pest species.

Fuscus obviously still hasn't removed the sand ;)
You complain about other people complaining when they ask a legitimate question about something they "may have heard". The whole "wasting time" etc. is so dumb. You clicked it, you read it, you chose to have a ridiculous opinion.
You wasted your own damn time.

As for the OP. lol @ any mention of big cats and komodos being introduced here. Shiz would hit the fan.

Did anyone hear that conversationalist are considering making a reserve in central Australia for the highly endangered white Rhino? Slightly different from just introducing species to create peril in Australia. I suppose that if this is managed it would be a good conservation alternative to keep this species alive? Who knows if any of this will ever happen. There probably was just a scientist suggesting it as a alternative pest control to introduce these animals... it would never be allowed. Yes we should have learn by now that introducing pests to kill of formally introduced pests are not the best idea for a delicate and intricate ecosystem as is Australia?

Last edited:
Did anyone hear that conversationalist are considering making a reserve in central Australia for the highly endangered white Rhino? Slightly different from just introducing species to create peril in Australia. I suppose that if this is managed it would be a good conservation alternative to keep this species alive? Who knows if any of this will ever happen. There probably was just a scientist suggesting it as a alternative pest control to introduce these animals... it would never be allowed. Yes we should have learn by now that introducing pests to kill of formally introduced pests are not the best idea for a delicate and intricate ecosystem as is Australia?

Are they planning to havew a chat about it? :p

Introduced species can be used effectively to control other invasive plants and animals and their waste. It has happened before successfully, bovine dung beetles and a beetle that eats prickly pear come to mind.

Are they planning to havew a chat about it? :p

Introduced species can be used effectively to control other invasive plants and animals and their waste. It has happened before successfully, bovine dung beetles and a beetle that eats prickly pear come to mind.

Haha you confused me totally. I suppose my endless semesters in animal biodiversity and urban animals conservation never mentioned successful intro's to Australia.. I will consider myself told haha. Personally I just think that we shouldn't tamper with environments... even if we have seen some success.. I think its just too risky, especially with a species like a komodo.. and lions.. stupidity! See you later native Fauna.. and flora.

Haha you confused me totally. I suppose my endless semesters in animal biodiversity and urban animals conservation never mentioned successful intro's to Australia.. I will consider myself told haha. Personally I just think that we shouldn't tamper with environments... even if we have seen some success.. I think its just too risky, especially with a species like a komodo.. and lions.. stupidity! See you later native Fauna.. and flora.

The reality is that we need to start thinking outside the box when it comes to pest management, because currently our systems aren't working. Elephants and komodos are getting a bit silly, but we do need to consider all options.

You just aim the drivers side front tyre up and pop, there goes another one of those ugly invasive elephants that are taking over the top end.

The reality is that we need to start thinking outside the box when it comes to pest management, because currently our systems aren't working. Elephants and komodos are getting a bit silly, but we do need to consider all options.

Has there ever been even one exotic species introduced anywhere in the world to deal with pests that has been proven to be a success as opposed to a disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back