New Caledonian Crested Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know you dont get paid squillions and i also know that first year vets get bugger all considering the amount of study etc but gees there bosses shore no how to charge when it comes to polo ponies
Lots of people say this but you must realise if you receive a few hundred dollars of a bill, that isn't profit. The overhead costs in the veterinary profession are very high - higher than doctors etc as we receive no subsidy.

5 years study to even begin being a vet? Surprising that so many seem to have taken all their husbandry knowledge from 'Spots Big Book Of Animals'..
Not entirely sure what you mean by that, but yes it is 5 years of full time study.

One more question, If I brought a cane toad into your clinic and (just say you were based in Sydney) and wanted a health check on the critter because I had strong intentions of breeding, what are your thoughts regarding confidentuality? If you saw me as a total yobbo and did not feel that I understood the situation or did not care, would confidentuality stand?

Honest question.
I hate cane toads so I am fairly biased so this probably isn't the best response. If the cane toad was your pet and was sick, and I knew it was going back to your house to be kept as a pet I would probably treat it (toads are animals too). If you said you were breeding them I would strongly debate that with you and recommend against it, possibly mentioning that I would have to report such an action - especially if they were to be released. If someone brings in a feral cane toad because it is being attacked by birds or whatever it gets euthanased.

Not true. Vets treat animals whether they are legal or not - it is not the animals fault it is being owned illegally and so why should it suffer? Vets have a duty of care to the animal - and will provide that car. If you dob on owners for bringing their animals to you net time the animal will just stay home and die instead of getting medical attention.

The same goes for ambulance drivers called to overdoses. Do you think they call the police to dob the people in for using heroin? No. Otherwise nobody would call the ambos anymore and people would die.
Sorry about the late reply, but good point. I didn't think of it that way.

Sorry about the late reply, but good point. I didn't think of it that way.
No Snakelover, let the heroin crack ***** addicts die. Same with illegal pets, give them an overdose they will not wake up from.
Harsh? We need to be.

hahahahaha, you people are so pissy and hypercritical! you claim to be animal lovers and reptile enthusiasts and you all love your animals so much. but one person has an exotic and you turn into filth that has to say something because its illegal. you all talk a lot of **** thinking you are pros but the real pros who knew there stuff left here a long time ago because of all you #### suckers. i see about 3 smart people on this thread and im surprised they are still here with the crap they are getting from you.
if any of you "reptile enthusiasts" heard John Weigel or any other "big name" herpers say exotics should be allowed to be kept you'd all be for it. stop talking crap saying it shouldnt be allowed here and they should be killed.
i bet you all love aussie jags but half the lines were brought in from overseas.
more then half of you own or have owned a cat, dog, mice, rats, rabbits, chickens just to name a few - surprise surprise they are all exotics and are far more capable of doing damage to the environment then a gecko.
It could almost be guaranteed that that gecko was captive bred anyway, there are so many exotics here being bred in Australia anyway they may as well become legal on an appropriate licensing system.
a lot of you need to reconsider what you say about this because most of you dont know jack **** but think your amazing because there are very few truely smart people on here (because they couldnt be bothered giving out years worth of experience when they just have it thrown in their face). its no wonder none of the good herpers dont like the internet forums anymore, just a bunch of dick heads on here

The arrogance and obvious ignorance exhibited by some in the thread is incredible, is it any wonder most experienced keepers just don't bother posting anymore.

Seems to be a common trend in most threads doesn't it.. Arguing for arguments sake rather than addressing the topic.. As for this topic my advice is take the vets advice.. That's a no brainer to me

Illegal or not,
it's here and the owner is trying to do their best to look after it I'm sure.

It's illegal to speed, it's illegal to J-walk... we all do it.

Stop being so naive

I don't know much about gecko's but good luck.

Oh for gods sake take it to the vet so I dont have to read through all the "I am so much better than you" garbage that topics like this generate from all quarters. Takes some responsibilty.

Wow, the inhumanity of people these days disgusts me. You are meant to be reptile lovers! I hope your friends friends gecko feels better soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back