Harder to find elapids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodges

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just after some information before i try NSW DECC. With regards to the smaller more harder to find elapids in captivity, my question been are these species even allocated on the species keeping list ? for example Rosen's snake, Ornamental snake and many more snakes listed to be kept in captivity ? i know these snakes are a dime a dozen in captivity (if they are even been kept ?) just wanting to know if you can even keep them

Thanking you.

G'day Hodges

Your best bet is to look at the current wildlife authorities species list. A few years ago there was a document available that had actual numbers kept, although I haven't seen a recent one.

p.s - I think you're getting your sayings mixed up there, as 'dime a dozen' means very cheap and readily available.
The species that you mention are 'as rare as hen's teeth' in captivity I think you mean.

hehe. I noticed the muddled up saying also. lol.

You would be lucky to find someone who is breeding such species.
I too would love to keep some of the smaller elapids but I don't like the chances. also I have been told that part of the reason they are not widely available is that they are really dificult to get feeding on rodents and so are quite dificult to maintain in captivity. I'm not sure how accurate that is but that's what I have been told.

In the care of the right person they thrive.

There are many species out there but some are in fairly low numbers with long wait lists.

As for specific care it depends on the species

Cheers
scott

was asked by a pet shop 'why would you want to keep poisonous snakes? You can't exactly get them out and handle them'
My reply was 'how often do you get your fish out of their tanks and handle them?'

As per the 2003 list,
Ornamental snake are Class 2-Category 2- code M2662
Suta fasciata was never on the list, If they are obtained from a legal source you can contact NPWS/DECCW and they will allocate a code for it.

Don't get me wrong ive kept/keeping a fair few small elapids such as marshies, yellow faced whips and de vis banded snakes. But wanted to increase my interest to those even harder to find in captivity hence why i thought id ask.

tiliqua yeah thought that would be my best bet asking the DECC, of course if there is a legal source of these elapids in captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back