A female python that is really male

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I bought a children's python from a petsho in October, and was told it was a female yearling. We had to get another python sexed on Friday, so we did them both. It turns out that it is actually male, not female as we were told. Has thi ever happened to anyone else? And what is a good boy snake's name, as he is currently called Pippi.

That has never happened to me. But if it was me, I would call him Pippin. Not much of a name change, plus I'm quite fond of Lord of the Rings.

One year, I bought two female scrub pythons as there were no males left.
They had babies this year.

It happens all the time. I had 4 jungles sexed a total of 6 times by some of the most experienced and respected herpers there is, out of 6 attempts only 2 were right. Some of those were adult sexings as well.

All the time....Only way is too sex them yourself....

We have 2 Stimmies, both sexed as males, we chucked them both in together temporarily when one of the enclosures crapped itself, turns out the one we'd named Mr Sparkles was a girl. She eventually laid a clutch of 15 eggs, but coz we weren't expecting it and not even close to being prepared and didn't know squat, we left her to incubate them herself but she abandoned all of them by day 7 :(. probably for the best, Mr sparkles is a wheatbelt, but Deathclaw is a... uhhh... standard? I don't know, but he's a lot plainer than Mr sparkles, and if I'm ever going to breed, I'd rather keep them pure.

If a probe says it's a male then it's a male. If a probe says its a female, it can still be a male that is tensing up. Since males probe deeper than females.

If a probe says it's a male then it's a male. If a probe says its a female, it can still be a male that is tensing up. Since males probe deeper than females.

Can't say i blame them - if i had a probe stuck up my clacker i'd tense as well!

If Pippi has survived this long without appearing too confused by his unmasculine name I reckon he'll be fine. In fact naming him after a mollusc seems particularly apt as they're hermaphrodites - snail sex is kinda gross.

So if this were being put to a poll my vote would be for Pippi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back