electric RC?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is forget electric, you get a short amount of enjoyment then have to wait 8 hours for the battery to charge, sure you can get spare batteries etc but its still a pain in the butt.
Nitro is easy and tonnes of fun, thats the reason it dominants the RC car hobby

depends how far into it you want to go, you want something to kill spare time here and there or something a bit more on the race side of things.
electric is quiet and can be used indoors/undercover (plus doesn't upset neighbours) nitro is so much more fun but needs to be in open areas with the noise and exhaust fumes (can also upset neighbours if they are the whinging type)
...you can get people come and watch when they hear a nitro ripping around also... pro and con of that

electric can have some great cars to choose from but like nitro it gets expensive also if you get into it enough, if your after a toy and to kill some hours on a weekend when you feel like it I'd say electric with a few batt' packs as it can give plug and play so much easier than nitro, I personally prefer nitro as the sound and smell is half the fun of it.

anything hsp is junk , they are weak - but parts are cheap [ for that very reason ] when i was working in a hobby shop fixing cars pretty well thats all i fixed was hsp .

i want something that is strong so it doesn't break every time i drive it and i wanted it to be fast but i was just looking for a new hobby and i like rc cars so i thought what the hey ill try it and sound isn't a problem so ill probably go nitro.

sadly atm about $250

thats why i was looking at the site above mentioned.

sadly atm about $250

thats why i was looking at the site above mentioned.

Maybe look for something 2nd hand on ebay? at least then it will be run in for you (hopefully not thrashed lol).

If you can get another $100-$200 together you would be able to get a great begginer nitro package (unless the prices have changed dramatically in the last few years).

do the drift rc cars actually drift if so that could be some fun

There's a rc company in the us called Tower hobbies. They have good prices and don't charge to much for postage from what I have seen it normally works out cheaper the buying here.

do the drift rc cars actually drift if so that could be some fun
yeah you can get rc electrics that drift, just search it in youtube and your sure to find something interesting

I recommend getting a 1/5scale :D

yea i seen one on that site the op had linked just wanted to now if they actually drifted before i go and get one didnt think about youtube cheers ill have a look now and sorry i know anything about rc cars, 1/5scale is that just the size

just had a look and they really do drift but would they have to be on a really slick surface like would one drift like that on a normal road

Last edited:
yeah scale is all about the size, 1/5 scale is 1/5th the size of real life (supposed to be anyway) 1/10th is probably the most common size for most fun/toys but bigger is ALWAYS better lol

thats another thing to consider...bigger scale means bigger costs, from what I've seen tho means stronger too so it's a lot to check into

My opinion is forget electric, you get a short amount of enjoyment then have to wait 8 hours for the battery to charge, sure you can get spare batteries etc but its still a pain in the butt.
Nitro is easy and tonnes of fun, thats the reason it dominants the RC car hobby

Electric is faster and more powerful than nitro. Run times are up over an hour with LiPo batts and brushless motors, just have a few batteries for non stop running.

Nitros are cool, I have them and have spent big $$ on both.

RC drifters DO drift. If I were you I'd look for a used Yokomo, Associated TC5 or Tamiya.

I just sold a TC5 set up for CS drifting with a brushless set up and 2.4ghz radio complete with everything RTR for $250.

If you want to get into drifting and are going to buy used, buy one set up for CS (Counter Steer) drifting. 50/50 power distribution makes it WAY too easy and not look as cool, you'll master it too quickly and become bored. Countersteer drifting has more power going to the rear of the car, so you need to actually countersteer and use throttle control to drift (like a normal car).

DON'T buy HSP or any other cheap cars. You get what you pay for with everything in life, but that goes ESPECIALLY for R/C. They are reliable if you're smart and put your cash into good brands, but the crap ones will leave you frustrated and you'll hate the hobby.

There's a rc company in the us called Tower hobbies. They have good prices and don't charge to much for postage from what I have seen it normally works out cheaper the buying here.

I got a revo, a picco .26 max motor, a crowd pleaser body and a ridiculous amount of other stuff shipped to my door for less than a revo by itself in Aus from towerhobbies. They often have big discounts ($150) once you spend over a grand.

Tower is great, amainhobbies is also fantastic.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;46ssLpgky5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ssLpgky5E[/video]

Just an example.

[video=youtube;lwijY93phiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwijY93phiA[/video]

[video=youtube;chzfW68rS6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chzfW68rS6c[/video]

[video=youtube;3RF8sEKzEjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RF8sEKzEjQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

My video from the past weekend, soz for the quality... my car is the buggy

the date is wrong on the video- the camera hasn't been changed over yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back