Help Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarajm9

Reaction score
I found a snake in my yard, Small and brown. Thought it was a crown snake but not sure now after googling pics.

It has a black belly, 2 white/yellowish stripes on the side of its face 1 in line with the eyes and the other in line with its mouth. The rest of its body is a brown olive colour. It reared up when caught but didnt strike.

Any help would be great. Just want to know the damage it would cause to the dog or kids. found Central Coast NSW

Thanks

Sounds like a Marsh Snake, mildly venomous with bites causing a bit of pain and swelling.

I'll have a guess and say possibly a Marsh Snake, although I'm pretty new to snakes :? so dont take my word for it.

Just googled a pic and thats it. Thanks guys. So by the sounds of it its prob not a good thing to have around kids or dogs?? does anyone know if it could potentially kill a dog?

I agree that it sounds like Hemiaspis signata.
Tarajm9, can you show us any pics of the snake?

It's unlikely to kill a dog, as they're only mildly venomous.
It's best to keep the dog away from it anyway, more so for the snakes sake.:)

Last edited:
Sorry no pic just caught it in a bucket and took it further down in the bush and let it go, I back onto a reserve with a creek. None of us have snake phobias so im not real worried was just curious as to what it was and what would happen if it had bit the kids or the dog, just in case it decides to come back for another visit.

Keep the grass short and get rid of any surface debris - chuck it or store it at leat half a metre off the ground. Prune any garen plants so they are not bushy to ground level. No snake will hang around where it cannot find shelter.

Make no assumptions, not that you sound like you would. An Eastern Brown the size of your Marsh Snake could easily put an adult in hospital and could certainly be life threatening for a child. So treat any snake you find as potentially dangerous until you are certain otherwise.

The dog is likely to bark at any animal it comes across before trying to bite it - and that depends on your dog's temperament. They are amazingly aware and will pick the presence of a snake long before a human. You definitely have the best early warning device.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back