My EWD hatchie wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardtb

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a very young Eastern water dragon hatchie that does no want to eat.

I have met all his tank requirements thanks to you guys.

I have been putting a pin head cricket in every day and leaving till the following day but he hasn't touched it. I have also tried putting one in, in the morning and taking it out at night but still nothing.

I haven't seen him near the heat but he does more around the tank during the day sometimes but never very far.

The only normal thing i can see is that every 2 or three days he has pooped in his water.

Is there anything else less active that i could feed him ?

hope someone can help.

cheers

Please help !

Last edited:
I have never cared for an Eastern Water Dragon with eating problems before but I'm guessing it would be much the same as other dragons.
1st BIG QUESTION... Is the lil one drinking?
2nd, very uncommon, but some are picky with what they eat, you could try another insect such as 'wood cocroach' or 'meal worms'.

If has not eaten for a duration of time that affects its health and because under weight, then grind the bugs up, put in a syringe, and then pump it into the back of the throat, - but only as last resort
i would also recomend giving the enclosure a second look including check temps.

Hope it works out for you and the lil one :)

He's pooping every 3 days, without eating? Either you're the proud owner of the worlds first EWD with an intestinal intergalactic wormhole, oooorrrrr....

i thought the same when i first got mine. put some crickets in and leave them in there. just a few. do this each day. dont hassle him too much just pop the crickets in and head off. i agree with what other people have said. if he's pooping he's eating. i didnt see mine eat for about a month. but he was dirtying his water almost every day

i didnt see mine eat for about five months.. he was super shy and would not eat if you were in the room, he was pooping and growing so i didnt worry

I have only seen mine eat crickets/woodies a couple of times (weird thing is I have seen them eat more veggies then live food) but they are constantly dirtying their water with their poop So I wouldn't worry too much

I have never cared for an Eastern Water Dragon with eating problems before but I'm guessing it would be much the same as other dragons.
1st BIG QUESTION... Is the lil one drinking?
2nd, very uncommon, but some are picky with what they eat, you could try another insect such as 'wood cocroach' or 'meal worms'.

If has not eaten for a duration of time that affects its health and because under weight, then grind the bugs up, put in a syringe, and then pump it into the back of the throat, - but only as last resort
i would also recomend giving the enclosure a second look including check temps.

Hope it works out for you and the lil one :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but arn't mealworms bad for hatchie dragons??

Corrected, they aren't
They are fine, :)

No worries, I just read on here some where that there not good for hatchies because of there hard shells and they bite, personally i don't keep lizards so I was a bit curious.

they can cause impaction because meal worms are high in chitin content which makes it harder for the dragon to digest they should only really be offered after 2 months of age and as a occasional treat but in saying that I have cbd's that i chucked mealworms in veggies to help get them started from 2 weeks old their 3 months old now and no impaction problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back