New baby girl...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard of a woman who had 14 kids, 7 boys called Terry and 7 girls called Terri. She said it made it a lot easier if she wanted their attention, she just called... Terry....and all the kids came to her...Terry, get out of bed...and all the kids got out of bed...Terry, go to bed and all the kids went to bed..etc. etc. Then someone asked but what if you want an individual child...her answer was....then I call them by their surname !! ;)

However a TRUE story.... I know a woman who called her son... Ocean. I've also known girls called.... Storm, Wednesday and Michael. And some names of course can be used for both girls and boys.... Peter/Peta...Jo/Joe...Leslie/Lesley and there are others. You just gotta google kids names and you'll find all sorts. I think it's an interesting topic.

Just Tuesday on ABC radio there was a discussion on silly names and spelling...

My name is spelt normally, and people still can't get it right.

People appreciate proper pronunciation and spelling of their names over the "originality" of them...and "old fashioned" names will be more original in the classrooms your daughter will be in.

And in now hissy fitting over the responses not telling you your spelling is a fantastic idea, why did you post then? If your mind was already set (which it obviously is) on the odd spelling, then there was no point.

Personally I wouldn't name my children (or pets, for that matter) based off a forum, nor attempt too. You're the one having too call her name for the next 40+ years.
Just dont complain when the teachers on here whose opinions you're complaining about spell and pronounce her name wrong for the first 16, and her feelings are hurt.

Oh and,
No one is really phased how you spell it. Because, it's not our kid.
Hence, ask your partner.

Last edited:
Just Tuesday on ABC radio there was a discussion on silly names and spelling...

My name is spelt normally, and people still can't get it right.

People appreciate proper pronunciation and spelling of their names over the "originality" of them...and "old fashioned" names will be more original in the classrooms your daughter will be in.

And in now hissy fitting over the responses not telling you your spelling is a fantastic idea, why did you post then? If your mind was already set (which it obviously is) on the odd spelling, then there was no point.

Personally I wouldn't name my children (or pets, for that matter) based off a forum, nor attempt too. You're the one having too call her name for the next 40+ years.
Just dont complain when the teachers on here whose opinions you're complaining about spell and pronounce her name wrong for the first 16, and her feelings are hurt.

Oh and,
No one is really phased how you spell it. Because, it's not our kid.
Hence, ask your partner.

You couldn't of said it better . Nah we never had our minds set just though we would chuck it out there :) and to tell you the truth I just like to pi** some people off :)

I employ a lot of people in a professional setting. I can tell you that retarded spelling will put your child at a disadvantage in terms of being selected for a job. That's just the way it is. Why someone would want to disadvantage their child from birth is beyond me.

I agree with both sides on this......names such as Apple & Sunday etc are what i would consider to be kinda cruel names for your child, but imo changing the spelling of certain names is a great idea, in most cases it doesnt make much difference to how people pronounce the name anyway, as most people after hearing it said once can remember how to say it in future! My daughters name is Tiarne, (said TRN) sure she has had the silent 'e' on the end added to the way her name is said in the past, (TRNEEEEE ;)) but once corrected most people remember for next time. My son, i had Isaiah picked for most of my pregnancy, however, the day i had him, i realised i hated the spelling......i changed the 'S' to a 'Z', & dont regret that one bit, yep, lots of people cant spell his name, hence why he gets "jack' from most of our family, but i love his name, & so does he, although he prefers to be called Zay.

I employ a lot of people in a professional setting. I can tell you that retarded spelling will put your child at a disadvantage in terms of being selected for a job. That's just the way it is. Why someone would want to disadvantage their child from birth is beyond me.

I think that is extremely shallow......in todays society with all the foreign people & names we now hear quite often, i dont see how a name would effect a persons career!! If they can do the job, they can do it whether their name is Tom or Rufus!

Last edited:
I think that is extremely shallow......in todays society with all the foreign people & names we now hear quite often, i dont see how a name would effect a persons career!! If they can do the job, they can do it whether their name is Tom or Rufus!

Names don't just effect careers, they effect personalities too! Any boys names ending with 'ayden' generally produces a wild boy. Think about it, ever met a Jayden, Hayden, Bayden, Aiden, Laiden... Nearly always wild, in the classroom atleast. Same token but for girls, ever met a Lily (Lillian etc) that wasn't really lovely? I've only ever met one nasty one.

Names don't just effect careers, they effect personalities too! Any boys names ending with 'ayden' generally produces a wild boy. Think about it, ever met a Jayden, Hayden, Bayden, Aiden, Laiden... Nearly always wild, in the classroom atleast. Same token but for girls, ever met a Lily (Lillian etc) that wasn't really lovely? I've only ever met one nasty one.

:lol: Sorry, but i completely disagree with you on this one!! My god son, who is a Jaiden, is a sweet little boy, not wild at all, although my best mates boys....Corey & Mitchell.......they are the devils spawn!! & as for Lillian's only being 'nice' girls......:lol: wrong again!! Names dont create a personality, we are born with these, & then how we are raised 'finishes it off'! If Lilly has deadbeat parents, chances are Lilly is now a crack head......& yes, i know a Lilly!

:lol: Sorry, but i completely disagree with you on this one!! My god son, who is a Jaiden, is a sweet little boy, not wild at all, although my best mates boys....Corey & Mitchell.......they are the devils spawn!! & as for Lillian's only being 'nice' girls......:lol: wrong again!! Names dont create a personality, we are born with these, & then how we are raised 'finishes it off'! If Lilly has deadbeat parents, chances are Lilly is now a crack head......& yes, i know a Lilly!

I'm going back to Jake's favourite saying... I'm a teacher, i definately consider myself well experienced in the relatively unknown science of child name behaviour theory, infact i may even be the founder of the science :lol:! Totally agree, Mitchell's and Corey's are right up there with the ()ayden's.

There are very very rare cases that buck the trend (like a Lily in my current class) but as an overwhelming rule aiden's are bad news...

I have also been an 'educator', having my own babies, working with disabled children in homes & also working in childcare for a number of years, & i still dont agree that you can judge a child's behaviour based soley on the name they were given! Each & every child is an individual, & they each have their own behaviours & personalities.

Congratulations!

I have chosen names for my children based on the meaning. My eldest (born in UK) is called Haydon which means "wooded valley" then we moved to Oz and find every 2nd male called Hayden (rosy meadow). He is always having to tell people how to spell it correctly and gets upset when it is spelt wrong - especially on school documentation. But there is no way I would change it as I don't think he is a rosy meadow!

Having said that, I would choose the original spelling of Crystal as that has meaning. We didn't choose the name Haydon to be different - it just happens to be unusual here. If the meanings were reversed then he would have been Hayden. It may be very frustrating for your child as she is growing up with an unusual spelling.

I agree 100% - I too chose my daughter's name by meaning (Jaya - victorious). I saw lots of 'made up' names (weird spelling etc) that I thought sounded nice but it meant they had no meaning.

I have also been an 'educator', having my own babies, working with disabled children in homes & also working in childcare for a number of years, & i still dont agree that you can judge a child's behaviour based soley on the name they were given! Each & every child is an individual, & they each have their own behaviours & personalities.

You totally can!

To the OP: If there is any truth to this - going by all the 'Crystals' I know - when she hits her teens you will regret naming her Crystal, Krystal or any variation of the name!! :p

You totally can!

You must just have skills then......just as it seems you have the skills to teach a class while being on APS ;)

Im still totally not buying it though! Another example, my dad picked the most boring plain name he could possible think of for me......Belinda Jane......in hopes it would make me a very plain sorta girl who would be 'daddy's girl' forever........trust me, his plan backfired, i will be whoever i want to be no matter what he named me!

You must just have skills then......just as it seems you have the skills to teach a class while being on APS ;)

Lol, only 10 mins into the morning atm. But I'm listening to Elaine read while the rest of my class is doing literacy rotations and arguing on the net. Multi-tasking FTW!

You have to feel sorry for the teachers, my daughter had 5 Teagans in her class one year & every one of them was spelt differently:shock: The teacher had their full names written on the corner of the chalk board for a few months until she could remember the individual spelling for each child.

unfortunately in this day and age people do discriminate: sex, age, race and names. its not fair, but it does happen. re the 'teacher' rebuttle - i only mention it as i come across a number of strange spellings of names and strange names. if i call them out incorrectly those kids get teased and it can create stressful situations. most of the time thought i just ask the kid next to me to help with the pronounciation!

unfortunately in this day and age people do discriminate: sex, age, race and names. its not fair, but it does happen. re the 'teacher' rebuttle - i only mention it as i come across a number of strange spellings of names and strange names. if i call them out incorrectly those kids get teased and it can create stressful situations. most of the time thought i just ask the kid next to me to help with the pronounciation!

I pity any teacher in sydney, all the different races and different names that come along with them, must make life hard! i cant even say my landlords name.....

Well my Haydon is far from wild!
I don't think that it is fair to judge children pre-emptively (sp?) based on their name alone. I hope the teachers here can leave their name predudices behind when meeting new children in their classes. I believe if you treat a child like they are a trouble maker that is one sure way to create one.

The weirdest name I saw was spelt Abcde.... And pronounced ab-sa-dee...

I have come across some ridiculous names and spellings in the classroom which just make me shake my head.

To the original poster, I don't think you have to worry too much as the spellings you have aren't really that out there... Pick whatever and don't worry about teachers like me shaking their heads in 5 years time.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back