Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed my 2 (Male,Female) 14 month old Darwins every 7 days on (f) 30gm Rats and (m) 10gm Rats cos he is Really small as when i got him he hadnt eaten for 7 months But is gaining weight nicely They both are :)

And my 14yr old Murray i feed him on 172gm rats every 7 days also, i have tried fortnightly but he is just nasty and very hungry so it dont suit him well lol

Any species under a year I feed weekly. Any species under 2 years every 10 days. Any species over three years fortnightly. Each get fed decent meals more then the what is normal. ..... Then again whats normal everyone's opinion is different.

I feed the Spotted and Jungle Pythons whenever they're hungry, so actual frequency varies between a week to months.

Feed my hypo coast 6 months every 5 days but my hypo coast 9 months once a week :)

There has been research done by the UWS (Uni of West sydney) on increased feeding rates of snakes! To date there has been NO adverse findings on this program!

I would also like to hear what all you people that are so against increased feeding rates think "power" feeding is and what your personal experience is with this subject!

Last edited:
There has been research done by the UWS (Uni of West sydney) on increased feeding rates of snakes! To date there has been NO adverse findings on this program!

I would also like to hear what all you people that are so against increased feeding rates think "power" feeding is and what your personal experience is with this subject!

Please correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty certain that study was done on snakes that were still growing.
Overfeeding adult snakes to the point they are overweight can cause health issues, of that I have no doubt.

"Power-feeding" juvenile snakes to increase growth rates or to get an animal to optimum weight after breeding etc is completely different and something I personally would have no problems doing with my own snakes if I felt they needed it.

Last edited:
I feed my adult bredli every month on average, and my stimson which is close to 2 years old about every two weeks. And I'm feeding approx 15% of the snake body weight each feed.

Yearling Bredli, sub-adult every 10-14 days, depends, I know when he's hungry because he stays up all night jumping off his logs

Please correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty certain that study was done on snakes that were still growing.
Overfeeding adult snakes to the point they are overweight can cause health issues, of that I have no doubt.

"Power-feeding" juvenile snakes to increase growth rates or to get an animal to optimum weight after breeding etc is completely different and something I personally would have no problems doing with my own snakes if I felt they needed it.

Yeah this was my thoughts also. In the first 20 months I found that the snakes growth was increased with power feeding compared to the normal scheduled sibs. The snakes were bigger but not fat. After sexual maturity is reached then there is no need to power feed.

D3pro, what was your feeding schedule when power feeding?

Feeding frequency varies so much according to meal size and whether they are about to shed but I find if you wait until the poop before feeding then you can't go wrong.
I have only kept pythons for a couple of years so I am by no means an expert on the subject.

My yearling Bredli i was feeding a rat once a week, for the past month ive been giving him 2 weaner rats every 10 or so days. Ive just bought sml rats which he will get one once every 10 days or so.

I fed carpets large items every 4 days. The large items seem to encourage growth of muscle and bones rather then making the snake fat.
I was able to get a 40 gram carpet python to 1000+ grams in 13-14 months.

Here it is when I received it.

199406_1782148828429_1080709962_1976445_7528482_n.jpg

Here it is now.

430773_2835001349084_1080709962_2808448_829088368_n.jpg

I feed my 2yr old Diamond (almost 5 ft) a large rat (160g-190g) every 2 weeks. He doesn't have any trouble taking it and poops after about 10 days or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back