Faulty lamps/globes??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesmoho

Reaction score
I've been having some trouble recently with my heating lamp and globes. I've been running the Exoterra Nightglow lamp, rated to 150watts, and have been using 150watt Reptileone infrared heat globe.

The problem I'm having is that the globes are constantly blowing (ranging from 5secs to 10mins of being on). I've taken them back to the retailer and had both the globes and lamp replaced, and the problem is still occurring.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with these products, or knows of any remedies to my situation?

Reptileone are crap, do not bother with there heat globes, i have never blown an exo terra bulb, also just bought a exoterra ceramic heat globe as they can last over 3years on 24/7.

Currently not running a thermostat, had one globe run for a couple of days and I had a 34-24 temp gradient in the enclosure

Could be a bad join in the light fitting, a dimming thermostat will prolong the life of globes. Did you wire it up yourself? Some globes don't last long, depending on how they have been treated. If the fillament streches then it will break when it's heated up. That's why you should never shake a globe. It destorys the life of the fillament.

check your wiring at the light fitting, or get a sparky.

i use 50w exoterra and reptile one, usually last me 12months+ in multiple enclosures. i did notice when i ran some higher wattage bulbs a while ago they didn't last as long, maybe just a coincidence but 2 of them blew quite early on....

Didnt wire anything, its all store bought "plug n play". Even running it through a surge protector, no difference in bulb life. how much are dimming thermostats worth/how do they work?

check herpshop, about $120 from memory- i use them on all my tanks.

simple to use, just plug the thermo into the 240v socket, plug your light into the female plug on the therme, put the probe in the cage. then use a thermometer to dial in your hot spot to the desired temp- can take a little while to get right.

the same thing has been happening to me, globes don't last any time at all and i'm using the exo terra glo lamp with reptile one and urs globes, reptile one globes don't last as long as the urs ones but neither last any longer than a month and recently a couple only lasted 5 minutes. Could it be the dome fitting? because I've had no problems with the bulbs in other fittings.

Heat will certainly cause a globe to blow quicker. The dome set up would probably be trapping more heat around the globe.
Perhaps use a lower wattage that doesn't get as hot. It should still heat up enough if you raise the basking shelf.

Are you guys having the problems running the Exo Terra NIGHT GLO large dome lamp holders. They are black on the outside and a light green colour on the inside. They actually glo in the dark for a short time after you turn them off?

If so, how long have you had the lamp holders for? Have you recently purchased them?

Last edited:
No one seems to have mentioned it, and i'll probably be met with a chorus of "i know not to do that" or "thats total crap" but i have been told to make sure not to touch the globes with bare hands when you are putting them in as the oils in our hands can cause them to blow...

No one seems to have mentioned it, and i'll probably be met with a chorus of "i know not to do that" or "thats total crap" but i have been told to make sure not to touch the globes with bare hands when you are putting them in as the oils in our hands can cause them to blow...

I have heard that as well, but I do not see how oil on the outside of the globe could cause the filament to over heat.
I could see it maybe causing the globe to crack if the amount of oil was excessive...

I have heard that as well, but I do not see how oil on the outside of the globe could cause the filament to over heat.
I could see it maybe causing the globe to crack if the amount of oil was excessive...

Nothing to scientifically back it up, but i know that when i got my first enclosure set up, i blew 2 bulbs in 2 days, and i had inserted them with bare hands. the next globe after i used a teatowel, didnt blow until the enclosure was moved. i just put another one in today and forgot to use the teatowel and it hasnt blown yet well see what happens when i turn it back on in the morning...

I do think if a person is paying upwards of $15 for a globe, they should be able to put their hands on it without it exploding though!!! and as you said, i wouldve thought you would have had to have the sweatiest hands on earth for it to affect the globe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back